Home

Loading .net on Linux

MasterSidious

I'm a complete Linux noob because I just got my Linux system to work. All I want to know is how you can load .net (C++ 7.0) on a Linux computer. I've seen the setup.exe on the disk but I don't know how to run it or what program to use. Could someone tell me how to run the setup.exe and instal .net.

Thanks in advance.

I know people are seeing this. Can anyone tell me how I can run .exe files (Windows executables) on my Linux system? I know you can do this because I've heard of people making .so files for their mods using Trimbo's Universal sdk on a Linux system.

Please respond.

Since no one listens to me, I tried something myself.

1.I installed "Wine" on my Linux system.

2.I clicked on my "setup.exe" located on disk 1 of C++ Visual 7.0

3. Under the "Run with" I typed "wine" and hit ENTER.

Then a dialog box appeared that said something like "Visual C++ 7.0 cannot be installed because it needs Microsoft Windows 95... Please install and rerun setup."

Can someone out there tell me how to fix this problem and get .net on my Linux system?

Thanks!

Yep, that's the compiler that Raven was supposed to have used for the Linux compiles.

Untarring can usually be done with zip file program.

I think it was way easier to compile and debug in .dll form. They were in a hurry so they didn't spend the time to port it into .qvm files.

Forget about MSVC on Linux. You only need a text editor (e.g. Emacs or vi), "make" and "gcc", all of which you should already have.

Use the tar command line application to untar, type man tar to get help.

There are probably GUI tools you could use to do this too, depending on what desktop you use.

Compile using the make command (man make). Using the makefile you have from Trimbo's SDK, make will use the gcc compiler, which you should already have.

This isn't really the place to be asking Linux questions, try searching for Linux newbie sites. There are some beginner lessons on http://www.linux.org/

Originally posted by [ONE]Mushroom

Forget about MSVC on Linux. You only need a text editor (e.g. Emacs or vi), "make" and "gcc", all of which you should already have.

Use the tar command line application to untar, type man tar to get help.

There are probably GUI tools you could use to do this too, depending on what desktop you use.

Compile using the make command (man make). Using the makefile you have from Trimbo's SDK, make will use the gcc compiler, which you should already have.

This isn't really the place to be asking Linux questions, try searching for Linux newbie sites. There are some beginner lessons on http://www.linux.org/

Thanks for your info.

Now I have some questions:

1.How do I know if I already have a text editor (e.g. Emacs or vi), "make" and "gcc"?

2. Do I need to untar anything if I'm just going to use the tools that I should already have?

3. How do I use the makefile I have from Trimbo's SDK, and use the gcc compiler to compile and make a .so file?

4. Do I type "man make" in the "Konsole"?

Thanks in advance. :)

I did some research and discovered that I have all of the text editors basically, but no "make" and "gcc". (I typed "make --v", "make -v", "gcc", and, "gcc -v", and "gcc --v" in the shell console, but nothing came up). My main problem with the whole thing now is intstallation. I've already downloaded the newest version of the "gcc" compiler and I don't know where I can get "make". Could someone tell me how to install these things? It would be really helpful. I can see all of the files that are inside the .tar.gz files, but I have no idea how to install them or where to put the cmd lines or anything further. :( I've looked on the tutorial that Mushroom gave under installing programs, but all it seems to explain is how to unzip or untar something, not how to install the files that you end up with.

Thanks again in advance.

I need some help.

I now have "make" (for some strange reason my Linux didn't come with it).

I have the gcc3.3.tar.gz file and I've untared it and now don't know how I can install gcc 3.3 on my system.

I tried to make a .so without gcc (do I have the right idea by doing these steps?):

1.Enter the "game" directory of the universal sdk

2. right click out in the white space

3. click "Open with"

4. type "make" and hit ENTER

Thanks again.

Ok:

I have downloaded the newest possible version of gcc and make.

I do the same thing like I did before, but there is no compile.

My questions:

1. Do I need to run the patch file? If so, how?

2. How and where do I run the "make" cmd?

I've tried right clicking the Makefile, selecting "Run with" and typing "make" then hitting RETURN

I've tried running the "make" cmd by right clicking on the .patch file, and trying to run that with "make".

I've changed the CFLAGS around

I've tried changing the gcc name

I need some help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived