Home

Cheating and illegal alterations on Online games

TheHobGoblin

Originally posted by SkinWalker

The only thing close to "cheating" that I've seen in the Jedi Knight series is use of "Admin Empowerment." On one occasion, the guy that was empowered kept kicking my ass, but I was making it tough for him. He and I were the only two on the server and I actually found it an interesting challenge. There was no attempt to hide the fact that he was "cheating" and he even stated that he was just screwing around.

I have more respect for Raven's work with Jk2 and JA then...

Things weren't always this way with the jediknight series..why when I was your age....

Jedi Knight series went for a complete change in terms of cheating with Jedi Outcast. In Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight cheating was rampant. It was hard to walk into a game where some person didn't decide to change your name at random or freeze you, or decide that their bullets needed to be seeking ect. All these people were utilizing their .cog files that Jedi Knight did very stupidly. Every weapon, force power, and item had a .cog file modifying what it did, people would simply change the file, and as long as the file wasn't modified by a mod , it did not need to be the same as any of the other players' files. The hackers were always one step ahead of the defenses of the good standing people.

This brings me to truly appreciate what Raven did with JK2: Jedi outcast. The game had a totaly differant tone in terms of cheating and it is extremely rare. In terms of abuse of Admin powers it happens. To avoid cheating and abusive players in games admins realy need them. The key to avoiding abusive admins is finding a server you like and staying there

I think this is realy the point of clans, to establish a group of trusted people to play together that won't cheat, lame, or flame.

And yes griefers are incredibly annoying...they are they are the reason I don't play bf1942 anymore...that and I lost the CD...

they need some sort of online player profiling service that online games can plug into. Then everyone could rate players that they meet and annoying ones would end up with terrible ratings. (a bit like ebay ratings). It wouldn't be foolproof, but it would be a nice system if they could get it to work...

You could set minimum ratings that players needed to enter games, etc..

I got accused of camping once in Halo. Everytime someone popped up, I shot him clean and dead with the sniper rifle. The only problem with that is I was clear on the other side of the board*behind the red base in blood gulch, that big hill with lots of rocks*. Yea, I'm a good shot, but that was hardly camping. It was more defending my flag carrier.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen cheaters on almost every game. They arn't always easy to spot so i'm not the one who yells cheater be it i get owned or not. I find it strange when one player ends up with a crazy score where everyone else has a far far lowwer one but then again i'm not upset if i'm not the best. I don't care if i'm the best or the worst. I've been accoused of being a cheater even when i'm not. Sure i'll use cheats on a single player game when i'm bored but online they are not worth my time. If i want to pisss someone off i'll use skill instead of cheats. Its funny when you own a group of people who think they are the best or think that they should beat everyone badly. I've been called a cheater just for having a good game. Then they tried "Tests" that were pure bull to prove i was cheating yet anyone who knew me could say otherwise. I just happened to have a good game. Doesn't mean i'm cheating. People are always quick to jump on anyone who happens to do well or someone that "could be cheating". They most of the time never have specific proof yet they have no fear in claiming that someone is hacking or useing cheats to win. I go on any counter-strike server and almost always someone claims another player is shooting through walls or looking through walls. I can't see any way they could be other than the fact they have a good score. Nothing more than that and people still are quick to claim cheater.

Archived