Home

Neverwinter Nights 2 to be unveiled at E3 [strong likelyhood of being fake]

Com Raven

As far as I know from recent articles, etc., Bioware is simply working on a new RPG for the PC that will be their own intellectual property. That makes sense because then they have more freedom regarding the underlying stats systems etc.

To be honest, why should they make a Neverwinter 2 anyway? Neverwinter Nights was great, but it's already had two official expansion packs, and there seems to be a new fan made campaign every week. They could, in effect, simply continue to add expansions, and increase functionality of the core game each time they do so.

If they were going to make another D&D game, I'd hope for a focus on a completely different area within that particular game world anyway.

KOTOR 2 is being made by Obsidian, with probably just an advisory role for Bioware - particularly if it uses the same engine, and I see no reason why it shouldn't.

So I'm intrigued to know exactly what this new PC RPG will be. Personally, I'd prefer more direct character control and real-time combat and interaction. Something like Dues Ex in terms of character and inventory management, except not that setting. More like Morrowind, but different.

With the recent release of the Community Expansion Pack, the many campaigns that are still created, the modules that are still DMed(I'm still busy DMing a campaign of my own), and the many possibilities that Neverwinter Nights offers... well, I don't think that they need to build another Neverwinter Nights. It already has enough possibilities to last for quite some time. Plus, there is no real other game like Neverwinter Nights out there, is there? The only thing that they really could upgrade is the graphics, and even that is hardly necessary, I think. They do their job well, and the recent addition of skyboxes and robes have nicely added to the overall feeling.

However, there has been serious talk on the official forums regarding Digital Distribution. And mind you, this is not just the fans talking, the developers of the NWN Live Team themselves have been proposing it, and although I haven't quite been following the entire discussion, I believe that they're still busy negotiating the final plans. Perhaps this is what they'll announce at E3?

From what I've read, the Digital Distribution will only cover the creation of new modules, aka adventures from Bioware. The usual new object that come with patches(monsters, placeables) will still be free. (which I think is bloody brilliant and would avoid the community split-up that it might otherwise cause)

And allow me to take back what I said earlier... check grok's post on this thread, from an official Atari employee. I'm still somewhat skeptical(what, with the date an' all), and I actually wouldn't want a Neverwinter Nights 2(I'm happy enough with NWN1 as it is, I'm finally getting my campaign running smoothly, lemme stick with it for awhile :p)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived