Home

Camera Angles

tk102

Fred,

I think you're right about the Orientation field containing a quaternion. The 4 floats are probably the w, x, y, z values. Take a look at this website:

http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/algebra/realNormedAlgebra/quaternions/transforms/index.htm

There's code there for transforming a point in space along with an example.

At the bottom of the page are a list of 90° transformations that we should be able to demonstrate in-game if these are in fact quaternions.

The most dramatic and simple would be to make the 4 floats: 0, 1, 0, 0. That should put the camera upside down.

Edit: it doesn't

It turns out that I had already added camera editing support to KT, but I had forgotten; it's been a month since I looked at the code. (I'm moving and haven't had much time)

Right now, you can edit the X/Y/Z position and the four other "visible in GFF editor" fields (whose names escape me at the moment).

I will try a test where I set the cameras' orientations to some strange values and see what happens.

Can your editor do that, to save me some testing?

I did a lot of experiments on an Endar Spire camera last night, trying to replicate the airplane pictures shown on the website that I posted. There seemed to be some limits in place, preventing severe rotations like vertical and upside down rotations. But the yaw rotations function as expected.

(Wish they'd used use yaw, pitch, and roll -- it would've so much easier to mod.)

There is also the possibility that we are barking up the wrong tree. These may also be values for an axis angle transformation.

See:

http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/axisAngle/index.htm

The first 3 values would be the axis and the last would be angle in radians(?).

Hypothesis: 1,0,0,3.1416 should make the camera upside down.

Edit: It doesn't either.

• 8 months later...

Just a quick note about camera angles. It seems Bioware found camera placement as difficult as we do. In many dialogs you'll find a number of invisible###.utp placeables that are used as Speakers in dialogs. (They have tags like "carths_chest", and "sta45aa_invis_conv_target"). I'm looking at sta_m45aa.rim as an example, specifically k_sta_carth.dlg. What a pain.

Archived