Home

Problems w/ Escape from Monkey Island Sound Track

SubGum

I've downloaded many mp3's from Escape from Monkey Island off of http://www.scummbar.com and they won't work in WinMedia Player. It says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play." All of the Curse of Monkey Island mp3's work fine. Can anyone help me out¿

Can't really think of anything - they worked for me, when I tried downloading a few. May be a download issue. However, it's not really necessary to download them if you have the game. They're all on the discs - in mp3 format (well, in .wav format really, encoded as mp3).

Look on either of the discs under \Textures\spago (those directories may be under another called Resources or whatever, don't remember, looking at my harddisk copy) - no idea why it's under Textures :p. Inthere you'll find some folders: A, B, C, D, S. Inside each of those folders, you'll find files named somenumber.m4b, say 1000.m4b. Copy them to your harddisk and rename them to .mp3. Or .wav, which would be more correct. Doesn't matter. WinAMP will read them, and so will WMP.

(Oh, and be sure not to take the files of the same name under Textures\mego - those are low quality versions - 32kbps).

The files don't have any info on what music they're supposed to be, but that's an excellent excuse for you listening to them all and renaming as appropriate ;)

- Serge

Tested it, and yes, won't work to rename them to .mp3 - since Windows Media Player (unlike, say, WinAMP) is stupid, it only looks at the extension, and these are not standard mp3 files. They're .wav files with the data encoded as mp3. So, the wave file header confuses Windows Media Player (even though the wave format is Microsoft's own - go figure...).

Just rename them to .wav, and they should play fine - in WinAMP, WMP, whatever.

- no need to remove the header (also, on a side note, only removing the RIFF tag is evil - the header goes on until 4 bytes after it says "data". If you don't remove that, the info in the header will be interpreted as audio, potentially causing clicks or other noise when the file starts to play)

- Serge

Archived