Home

I, Robot

Darth Groovy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by txa1265

I have no doubt that it was an enjoyable summer action popcorn flick, but I wonder ...

... what are the chances of a book-movie like "SlaughterHouse Five" or "Catch 22" ever getting made again ...

Mike

I think the odds of any "serious" movies that can't be boiled down into catchy trailers, witty one-liners and lots of cgi being made are fairly small at the moment. Imagine if they tried to make Blade Runner in the current climate.... 100s of cgi replicants on fighting barges off orion, etc... *sigh*

However, i can forsee that there MAY be a backlash agianst all these dumb matrix-clone comic book cgi & leather bullettime fest movies after a while. Ive already started to burn out on them, i expect others might too.

As more and more average and poor clones start to appear (van helsing, catwoman?) it is going to get a lot like the music industry with declining sales, and they are going to have to start making some alternative films for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since my time sitting on a beach in france has really disrupted my movie watching, i finally got to see this. :D

I thought it was pretty good. I definately enjoyed it a lot more than spidey 2 which i saw 2 days ago.

I wouldn't say it was an all time classic (doesn't compare with blade runner for example) but i'd say it was enjoyable and fairly intelligent and clever in places.

The film it really remoinded me of was minority report. (Both in the setting, the style and the plot pacing). I think that overall i probably prefered minority report, but the two are pretty close.

Will Smith was "ok". Not particularly amazing, but not too terrible and not too "will smith". Again, similar to Tom Cruise in MR. I thought the supporting girl and bad guy were pretty good, and i thought they did a pretty good job with Sonny... a stylish combination of an iPod, a Terminator and an innocent child.

Although i liked the plot, i did think that

(a) it was fairly obvious what was going to happen all along, with all the plot twists being a bit too well signed.

(b) It all seemed VERY familiar. I can't quite figure out where i have seen/read it all before, but i'm sure i have somewhere.

The main problems i had with the film were the music (which seemed a bit overdone and intrusive at times) and the action scenes.

The film wasn't really an action film, and the action scenes kind of felt out of place... like they had shoehorned them in just to get the teen boy audience or something. They also weren't particularly good action scenes (not that involving, lacking in punch, WAY too much BULLETTIME). Somehow, when cgi guys are hitting cgi guys there seems to be no weight in it, it is like watching someone play teken (interesting, but not really involving or heart pounding).

But anyway, it wasn't really an action film, so the flaws in the action scenes didn't really hurt it. Overall it was pretty enjoyable and i'd give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Archived