Home

Text problem when using hardware acceleration

Ingo Monk

Hi, I'm new to the forums ;)

Anyway, decided to dust off my XWing Alliance and try it on my newer machine. I have an AMD 2500+, 1GB RAM, GeForce FX5900 (128MB)

When I run the game in software more I can read the text in the HUD fine. When I enable hardware acceleration, the text becomes really small and garbled. I can barely make it out. I've tried changing the resolution in the video options but it doesn't seeom to do anything. Everything else looks great with hardware accel, just can't read the text. I've just installed nVidia's latest drivers and it didn't change a thing. I also have XWA at version 2.02 so it should be fully up-to-date.

Is there anything I can do to fix this text problem? I remember when I played Freelancer on this setup I had a problem with the ingame text and menus. Something to do with the fact that the game didn't know what video card I had or something. Went to the Microsoft tech support forums and got some help but it didn't fix anything either.

In any case, can anyone help me? Would you need more information?

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

I have the same problem! I recently replaced my GeForce 4 MX 440 64mb with a GeForce 6800 Gt 256mb

XWA Worked fine with the old card but with the new card i have the same problems you are having.

I would think a NEW TOP OF THE LINE CARD would not have this problem.

If you find a way to solve it Let me KNOW.

:fett:

Ingo

I talked to Invader (the mod here) on ICQ this morning & we seem to think it's a problem specific to the GeForce FX series of graphics cards. Earlier nVidia cards (such as my GeForce4) and all ATI cards (including the high-end Radeons) seem to run XWA fine, even with anti-aliasing enabled on the card and hardware acceleration enabled in XWA. So basically, you have two choices: run XWA in software mode (no hardware acceleration) or replace the graphics card. Personally, I know which brand I'm getting for my next graphics card upgrade now. ;)

Archived