Home

Linux Server, then improved Windows Server

[RNGD]Tyrant

In this thread from the Lucas Arts Forums they address various issues including servers.

it states:

Dedicated server options ?

We are working to improve the dedicated server programs for both the PS2 and PC versions. We're currently working on a Linux port of the server code. We will then focus on options that will provide admins with greater control and flexibility

Although I am glad to see that they are aware of the problem, I am a bit dissapointed they arent working on a better server. They wont even start on a functional dedicated server with even the most basic options until after they release the Linux Server. I was under the impression that they had already started. Us Admins arent asking for anything amazing (yet)...we merely want to be able to admin the servers we are paying for....why was it too much to ask to have basic functionality on day one?

but really the Linux server wont do any good.

Read the message, they are 'porting' the current Ded Server to Linux. No hosting company is going to lease a bf server you have no control over in windows or Linux.

I was hoping that the release of the Linux server was going to coincide with an improved Windows server (essentially skipping a crappy linux server)

Now the schedule looks more like

1. crappy win server (sept. 20th)

2. crappy linux server (??) [currently being ported]

3. basic win server (??) [not being worked on yet]

4. basic linux server (??) [not being worked on yet]

In my opinion they shouldnt bother porting the current server to Linux, they should create a 'real' server first and then port that one. (essentially skipping step 2 above)

i have to disagree with this approach..

something as basic as Kicking or Banning a player has to come first.. that adminning function is really the only thing i ask for at this point..

IMHO something like this should be done ASAP and out without 2 weeks if possible...

the griefing is only going to get worse and nothing is more frustrating than not even being able to admin your own server..

Archived