Home

How To Do This................

DK_Viceroy

I thought that I'd post up a How To thread where people can post up their guides on how to use a civ and examples of build orders favourable tactics and all the like I'll let someone else go first to see how they tackle it because I'm still deciding between Confederacy and Wookies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How to...

start a game:

Queue up 4 workers in your CC, select each idle worker and get him to build a prefab, select your scout and send him on a circtuit of your base (I like to set him to no attack and assign him to control group one). By this time the prefabs should be just about finished and the first worker out. Select all workers and send them to the nearest free food. If there's more than 4 nerfs/banthas build a nursery straight away then stick workers on carbon. If there's less and no other food, eat one while you look for more. If there's mujas build a food centre near them. Keep your scout moving around your base, further out, use waypoints. Put the first 8-10 workers on food (unless it's a high nerf bantha map, in which case keep them on carbon), then put the nesxt ones on carbon. Find an easily defensible spot for your carbon centre. Build house walls around it as and when you need more prefabs. Keep queuing up workers whenever you can afford to, and don't stop until you have at least 20. After you have 8-10 carbon workers, put the rest on food. Build a troop centre and power core as soon as you can. If you're going for a trooper rush, or think you'll get trooper rushed before you're T3, build a 2nd one. Start making farms if the free food is running out. Hit the T2 button when you get 500 food (I aim to do this around 10 minutes but usually fail!). While the T2 research is going on, keep making recruits in your troop centres. As soon as you hit T2, get the trooper upgrade, macrobinoculars are also important if you can afford them. If you have at least 1 full nursery, get the upgrade for it straight away, or if you've already got lots of farms, upgrade them as soon as you can. Keep making troopers and workers. Get a war centre up. And let the fighting start...

How to:

Anger your conque

Once you realize that your about to be owned, send out fighters, ships, troops, mechs, workers, and everything else you have. Try to spread them out. With your workers, build random buildings and create units with them if possible. An airbase/power core combo wokrs nicely. Do annoying stuff like this until you die. The End.

Good one Nitro :p We have missed your participation in the forum games.

That was also a good start game plan, Saber. Surprisingly it's actually quite close to how I start my game off. I am usually one of the first to TL2. If only I could keep the momentum up, as I'm still working on booming effectively.

Well, I guess I should reveal my speciality: how to be an air whore.

In my opinion air whoring is only effective with a few of the civs. There was one game where Viceroy and Phreak were air whoring with Confederacy and Trade Federation respectively, but in my opinion these are the two worst civs to do it with. But I'll look at each civ, in descending order of what I think is most effective at air whoring.

Naboo: In my opinion the best at air whoring. When you hit T3 build two Airbases and pump out Fighters. When you've got twenty or so, switch to pumping out Bombers. Before they are all finished you should hopefully be able to go to TL4. You have to rush to TL4 for effective Naboo air whoring. While on the way to TL4 build some more airbases, I find a total of six does the job well enough. Also make sure you have a Fortress built before hitting TL4. As soon as you hit TL4, research Taxation at the Fortress, and get your Airbases all researching instead of building (Efficient Manufacturing is the most important Airbase tech to get first, then Shield Modifications, then Advanced Engines). Once Taxation has finished researching, get the Fortress researching Automated Processes and return to mass producing Fighters and Bombers once all the Airbase techs are researched. If you've got a decent econ, you are all set, because Taxation and Efficient Manufacturing combine to give the cheapest aircraft in the game, while Automated Processes pumps them out faster.

Rebels: The process is fairly similar for the Rebels, although they can't get Taxation or Advanced Engines, which to me makes all the difference. They can, however, get the Airspeeder and A-Wing. You should get some Airspeeders in production in addition to Fighters and Bombers before hitting TL4. Once you hit TL4 get Automated Processes, Efficient Manufacturing and research A-Wings. Pump out A-Wings, as these are the Rebel Air Whore's best friend. Rebel air whoring is more effective against enemy armies than Naboo, since they can quickly take out Mechs with Airspeeders and A-Wings are great against most ground units, but because their Bombers are noticably slower than the Naboo, the Rebels aircraft aren't as effective against enemy bases.

Empire: Although they can't get Shield Modifications, I still rank the Empire above the other shielded civs for Air Whoring. The reason for this is that they TIE Fighters cost 5% less from the start, so they're the cheapest to mass produce as soon as you can in TL3. Attacks from Imperial aircraft in TL3 is their greatest strength; once the other civs get to TL4 the Empire isn't so great at air whoring anymore. However, they still aren't bad; once you research Efficient Manufacturing the Empire has the second cheapest aircraft after Naboo, and with Automated Processes you can still pump them out pretty well.

Republic: The Republic is alright at air whoring but not great. Mixing in Jedi Starfighters, particularly if they've got Mind Trick and Sight Beyond Sight researched, can cause some woe to the enemy, but because Jedi Starfighters are relatively expensive air whoring is made that much harder. However if you have some holocrons this might not matter, since the Republic gets more nova from holocrons. Jedi Starfighters are almost as good at econ raids as A-Wings, but the recon element they add to an air force is really what makes the Republic an okay air whoring civ.

Wookiees: Wookiees are the worst of the shielded aircraft civs for air whoring. The reason for this is that they don't have access to Efficient Manufacturing, which is somewhat important. Also, since they don't have any other nifty advantages to their airforce (like unique units or bonuses), they can't really compete with the above civs for air whoring. Still, shields shouldn't be ignored; while they might not be able to whore air that well, their air is still strong.

Gungans: Gungans have crap air, but not as crap as some. There are two things that makes them slightly better air whores than the Trade Federation and Confederacy: first, they can get Efficient Manufacturing, and second, Medics can heal their fighters and bombers. However, the fact that they suffer from the 5% cost increase and 5% build time increase counts strongly against whoring ability.

Confederacy: The Confederacy also suffers from the increased cost and build time. The only thing that makes them better than the Trade Federation is the Geonosian Warrior. Mix some of them in and you can decimate ground forces. But without even access to Efficient Manufacturing, air whoring is not a good strategy.

Trade Federation: The worst civ for air whoring. They can't get any aircraft techs either, but they also don't have a nifty air unit like the Geonosian Warrior. Air whoring with Trade Federation isn't a great idea either.

Originally posted by FroZticles

Republic are way higher up and Imperial air cannot compete with any sheilded fighters seeing as they will be torn up by aa.

It's true Republic have stronger air. However I was not doing a review of air force strengths, I was doing a review of air whoring ability. The Republic definitely have stronger air than the Empire, but the Empire is far better at whoring air.

I forgot to mention basic training. It's vital to get that early on before you get attacked. I sometimes forget to do it because I got too used to playing confeds. Free basic training is one of the best advantages early game. It means you can build 2 extra mounties before you have to start mining nova.

Your propably forgetting what all bad air civ's get to compensate for this they get more health so it;ll be 30 HP V 40 HP so it's not a big difference and since GE's air is cheaper it means more air faster for less and as everyone should know in our games by now however unrealistic it is that Quality is ALWAYS overwhelmed by Quantity I usually try to strike a balance and it usually works.

Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

Attacks from Imperial aircraft in TL3 is their greatest strength; once the other civs get to TL4 the Empire isn't so great at air whoring anymore.

This seems to be a sentence that both saber and Froz have missed. I never said FU Imperial Air could beat FU Republic Air. I said that in TL3 the Empire is fantastic at whoring air but in TL4 they lose the edge. In TL3 Imperial Air is better than Republic Air.

Remember, I wasn't comparing Air strengths. I was comparing the ability to whore air; that is, mass produce it in huge quantities to overpower the enemy through weight of numbers.

I'd also like to state for the record that in TL4, air-whoring with a non-shielded civ is nowhere near as effective as air-whoring with a shielded civ. Shielded air will always win out against non-shielded air, and non-shielded air is twice as easy to destroy as shielded air by all AA units. Unshielded air whoring does not equal victory in TL4.

• 1 month later...

It could since with the Empire they get their bonus + Efficient Manufacturing (if they don't then why is the logo for that tech a Wireframe TIE) meaning that it's cheaper to just churn out those while Imperial Ground Dominanace could make it hard for any Air Whorer to stop you.

I think that the point Vostok is saying is that t3 and early t4 the Emps are the best at air whoring because their fighters are cheaper, produced faster, and have more hps. Even though they will lose to sheilded air units, it still takes a while to defeat the inertia that the Emp's air has built up in t3 dominating you.

Archived