Home

VHS to computer?

Darth Groovy

Is there a good way to hook my VCR to a computer, and record vhs videos into WMV, or MPEG files? I want to copy all my rock videos into seperate files and put them on my pc. I have heard of still captures, but I want a full length video, sort of like this one:

http://umtv.info/Videos-384/Skinny%20Puppy%20-%20Protest-384.wmv

I have a VHS compilation of all the old Skinny Puppy videos, and I would like to make each one a seperate video file.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Hmmm, thats an interesitng question. I suppose there MUST be some sort of device out there, though it wouldn't be just simple hardware. Try this place, as well as here (same site, different thread, I think). At the most extreme you could always get a DVD burner, burn your VHS tapes on to DVDs, and then capture them on you PC...somehow. I don't know for sure, I've never tried it. Best of luck to ye!:D

You need a video capture device of some sort to do this. You could use a USB based video capture device but the result are not always very convincing as you can only record 12 Mbps of data with one of those.

You'll get the best results using a FireWire port, however not many VCRs are equiped with FireWire, so you'd have to first copy your VCR tape to a digital format like Hi-8, Digital 8, or mini DV by connecting your VCR to a camcorder of this type. Then you'd have to transfer from the digital video tape to the computer by connecting your camcorder to a FireWire port on your computer. This also requires a video capture software...

So if you don't have access to a digital camcorder and/or you don't have a FireWire port on your computer, I suggest you go with the first solution.

*strides in disco style*

dammnit grooveh, I thought you would know that I am THE BIZ when it comes to this shyte :D

VHS to digital

1. video in slot on grafix card(only hella cool graf cards have this :D)

2. VHS to digital tape > camcorder to PC via firewire as coupes said...... Firewire PCI cards are SH*Tcheap btw

3. Digital transfer service..... it all depends on how much you want to do.....

4. DVD > MPEG/AVI etc.... so many ways to do it....

go to http://www.videohelp.com THE GUIDE for all this type of stuff

mtfbwya

Archived