Home

X-Wing Trilogy

Guest Coudrak

Guest Coudrak

X-Wing + TIE Fighter + XvT + XWA = Ummmm... a trilogy ! smile.gif

To resolve the mathematical problem, LucasArts changes the XvT name : "X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Flight School" smile.gif

BTW : No new missions, nothing, just "a message to X-Wing fans from Larry Holland, about the history and heritage of the Star Wars flight combat series".

http://www.lucasarts.com/static/pr/xwing3.htm

[This message has been edited by Coudrak (edited November 02, 2000).]

Guest Delta Z

It seems that LAE is trying to squeeze every last drop out of the X-wing series. They realize that this has been a profitable venture for them and seem to think that yet another re-release (including XWA) will earn profits during the holiday season. That being the case, I still do not see any logical reason fo them NOT to develop an expansion set for XWA. If you look at their current marketing strategy (selling more copies of XWA via this trilogy) they seem to realize that a fan base exists. What they can't get through their skulls is that there exists a huge fanbase ready to shell out cash for an expansion pak! Why oh Why do they turn their backs on us for the short term console market?

Delta Z

------------------

"Ally to Good, nightmare to you!"- Goku

Guest paulbarnard

I think the problem is what to make out of an expansion set of the games. X-Wing is pre Yavin. The add on campaigns cover the evactuation of Yavin, the development of the B-wing and the eventual setting up the Base on Hoth.

TIE Fighter deals with the Imperial side of things post Hoth. Then it deals with the development of fighters and fight Zaarin and Harkov. The expansion campaign ends with the prelude to Endor.

X-Wing Alliance deals with the Alliance mostly leading up to Endor. What can it do after that???

Each is one of these games is loosely based on a film. Would they take one of the novels??? It's a quandry that a game developer doesn't want. They don't want to add to the expanded universe more than they have to. Instead of working on something like the game engine or graphics they're forced to worry about the story line.

As much as I want to see a sequal or a continuation of the X-Wing series I understand the point of story in the games that they are at and realize it is not going to happen.

------------------

Paul Barnard

aka Bad Monkey

Knight Watch Shipping Corporation

knight_watch_2000@yahoo.com

kwbanner.gif

Ten to one you are right, however the postEndor novels all follow the same story line, so they could just go the X wing series of books, or Start with Truce at Bakura, and continue the series. I think that it would catch more fans eyes if they could take part with the final end of the empire. Say for example if Ace after shore leave returns to the now New Republic and fights for the Imperial Center.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

All that pre-Yavin stuff in X-Wing was made up. I see no reason they can't make up some stuff after Endor, like mopping up the Imperial fleet or something, maybe culminating with the declaration of the New Republic. Anyway, the important thing is to continue the Ace story line. I agree that it won't happen, though frown.gif

------------------

Keyan Farlander

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers."

- Bill Gates

Guest paulbarnard

Most of the Pre-Yavin stuff could be accounted as made up, but some of it drew from the very limited (at the day) expanded universe.

I'm not saying there isn't a degree of making it up. It's just how much can they make up within the existing story arc (both cannon and expanded universe) is the question?

Guest Coudrak

I wrote to LucasArt about the X-Wing Series (because I want a new X-Wing... :-)

They replied me (today) :

Your September 14, 2000 letter to Simon Jeffery, President of LucasArts

Entertainment Company LLC, has been forwarded to this office for a response.

On behalf of LucasArts, we appreciate your enthusiasm for our X-Wing series of games, each of which represents many hours of work by a large number of people who truly care about the end product. As such, it is particularly gratifying when people appreciate and enjoy the end result of those efforts.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we do not solicit game ideas from outside the company and do not accept unsolicited materials which are sent to us.

LucasArts has a long-standing policy of forbidding any member of the company from reading, reviewing, or accepting unsolicited creative submissions or ideas. Therefore, enclosed with the hard copy of this letter are the materials you enclosed with the above noted cover letter, which have not been read or reviewed. We hope you understand our need to apply this policy consistently.

You will, however, receive a response to your concern about the status of LucasArts' X-Wing franchise shortly, this concern being expressed by you in the noted cover letter.

Thank you for your interest in LucasArts. We hope you will continue to enjoy our games for many years to come.

Very truly yours,

LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC

Legal & Business Affairs

Guest DarthHulkster

The problem with LEC was that they got so caught up in Episode 1 games (will there ever be an end to this madness?). They probably just thought that could profit a lot on the ep1 games and just said "heck with the X-Wing series, we got ourselves a very sad ep1 line of games and we still got ep2 and ep3 to work on"

Guest paulbarnard

what happened is that some of the people who brought us the X-wing series left for other software companies. Others still got promoted or transferred within the Lucas sphere (notable Jon Knoll who developed the Supernintendo Trilogy) to ILM.

The best people aren't there anymore.

If they REALLY want to continue the series, then they want to do the events leading up to the capture of Coruscant, because this then validates one of the BIGGEST and MOST IMPORTANT projects that some of our fellow XWA fans and OPT / TIE file editors are doing - the Atmospheric Opt Project.

May be we could go as far as do a new game called Rogue Squdron, where you ARE a rogue - including getting to do land misisons.

Imagine the multi-player possibilties - stealth, all out fire fights, fighter strikes, covert-ops, counter-intelligence.

That is what made the Rogues and Wraiths so popular - they weren't just fly-boys - they were also well trained and highly expert ground operatives.

This would add a greatly needed refreshing depth to the game, and be DAMN fine. IT would also hep to re-establish the original trilogy as the BEST trilogy (because it IS the BEST trilogy - hell - it IS the Trilogy !!!) !!!

------------------

Nove Squadron, Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the MC Oracle, home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - Eclipse Star Destroyers !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest Scoundrel67

"You will, however, receive a response to your concern about the status of LucasArts' X-Wing franchise shortly, this concern being expressed by you in the noted cover letter.

Thank you for your interest in LucasArts. We hope you will continue to enjoy our games for many years to come.

Very truly yours,

LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC

Legal & Business Affairs"

Please post any follow-up communications to this group. I've been itching for another installmant to this series. Troy Dangerfield's editor is fun to play with, but I'd like to see some updated voice acting, sharper graphics, and revisions to the shiplist all in one nice, neat package.

There's plenty of fertile ground in the classic trilogy. Let's all hope Lucas Arts has the wisdom to delve into it and continue this undisputed champion space combat series. Others may have their strong points, but the X-Wing series is still the top dog.

------------------

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I KNOW they made a Rogue Squdron game - I meant a NEW - BETTER one.

Okay - lets call it WRAITH squdron....

Atleast we can then have an actual death of a squad mate as oppose to them simply crashing !

------------------

Nove Squadron, Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the MC Oracle, home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - Eclipse Star Destroyers !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest Coudrak

The second sad reply from LucasArts...

Thank you for contacting LucasArts. Simon Jeffery referred your letter to

me.

We love to hear feedback from our fans and appreciate your enthusiasm for LucasArts' X-Wing games. They've certainly been an important part of LucasArts' legacy and will continue to be. While there are no new X-Wing games planned for the near future, we recently demonstrated a version of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II for Nintendo's GameCube system. We hope to have Rogue Squadron II available for that and other next generation game

systems sometime in the future.

Best regards.

Tom Sarris

Director of Public Relations

NO! We don't want a ROGUE SQUSDRON II!

I think they could do at least 2 new X-wing games

Capturing Coruscant

Thrawn Years

Maybe even a NJO one, once the series is finished.

------------------

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Scoundrel67

Go to Http://www.totallygames.com, register on their EZ board, and read up on the responses being given to requests for another installment in the X-Wing series. It's worth a look.

------------------

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Archived