Home

Graphics Card Help

BigTeddyPaul

I am hopefully going to by buying a new computer her sometime shortly and the available options for a graphics card are as follows:

NVidia GeForce 6800 GTO uses a double wide bracket that blocks the adjacent PCI slot. However, 2 more PCI slots are still available.

1. 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE [add $0]

2. 256MB PCI Express™ x16 Nvidia® GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card [add $60]

3. 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $210]

4. 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X800 XT [add $390]

Part of the reason I am getting a computer is to be a gamer again so the graphics card is very important. I am just wondering if there is a big difference between the 4 and which one of these I should get OR get the basic one and just go out and buy a better one and install it myself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BTP

There is some difference. A lot? It depends on your point of view.

Check out some reviews of your video card here: http://www.8dimensional.com/video-card-reviews/

Personnally, the Radeon x800 XT is a bit too costly. The performance is better but it's not that much.

Look at this graph:

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/ati-radeon-x800xt/

Like I said, if you're not obsessed with having the absolute best performances, there's no need to go too high.

I remember seeing a post on how you can buy a Radeon X800 pro (a specific brand one) and open the 4 extra locked pipelines by flashing the BIOS, effectively converting it to an XT at no extra cost. Supposedly this guy got it running at 500/500mhz (core/memory).

I'd go with the X800 myself, but the Geforce is a contender because of cost.

I would highly recommend you get a Geforce 6800 GT card at least. It can contend with the X800 series of cards and it has SM 3 which games will make use of later or you could wait until ATi has reached the SM 3 mark too, but if you must have one now, Geforce 6800. You can also in most cases overclock the GT to ultra speeds usually aswell.

I remember seeing a post on how you can buy a Radeon X800 pro (a specific brand one) and open the 4 extra locked pipelines by flashing the BIOS, effectively converting it to an XT at no extra cost. Supposedly this guy got it running at 500/500mhz (core/memory).

I hear that would be on X800 Pro VIVO only you can easily softmod with a BIOS flash for it. It has to be VIVO though or you will have to mess with the hardware and even then, the pipelines COULD be broken, so no gurantees if the softmod will be successful.

Archived