Home

Who is your closest friend?

Doubleplus GC

My best friend is Stevie. He and I have been the best of friends for years. We ended up parts of the same group in middle school, and spent much of middle school hanging out with each other rather than the rest of the group. We ended up parts of different groups in high school, and barely saw each other. but then, simultaneously, we had fallings out with our respective cohorts, and a tight friendship was resumed.

Today he is my roommate. We're an odd mix; Stevie is one of the most instantly likeable people I know. He and I both have the same stigmas about talking to people we don't know; we both get nervous, we both worry about what to say. The difference is that he doesn't let it stop him. Someone he's met in passing only once he will be able to seek out again and hang out with, while I may spend a good hour hanging out with someone and not know if it's appropriate to even say "hi" when I see them around somewhere.

Just about every girlfriend he's had has simply fallen in his lap. To know the Cheeviemonster is to love him. I do no find myself instantly likeable. I am usually only comfortable with being myself around people I don't know if I have a friend with me, and generally these days the only friend I'd have with me is Stevie.

Everyone loves Stevie, and he loves most everyone. But it feels good to be as close to him as he is to me. I know that this dude, who everybody loves, is my best friend, and when I think "man, I must be so lame if I can't make any friends," I just remind myself "naw, Stevie's the greatest guy I know, and I'm his best friend!"

We've been through a lot of very different stuff, but we keep turning out more and more like each other. It's weird how we can have to entirely different experiences and come out with very similar life lessons.

He's a music major at SF State. He and I trade film theory for music theory, usually when we should be sleeping, and if it's been a few days since we've seen each other we'll probably lie awake in bed 'til 2 AM trading thoughts, some deep, some dumb, all stimulating.

At my loneliest times, I sometimes wish Stevie were a girl, since then all my girl troubles would be over. I also sometimes wish my van were a girl for the same reason. I occasionally curse myself for not being gay, 'cuz even a straight guy can see a good match. And there was this dream I had one time where he and I shagged in a sleeping bag...

Yep.

It's good to have a buddy. Who's yours?

Right now I live the geek's dream. I'm on a buzz programming (learning to). I find myself working on days like December 24th and 31st so I can do my stuff without being bugged by people. Sometimes I get really rude towards my coworkers, which makes me think the little social skills I used to have quickly deteriorate. Hell, I even consider getting a PC to use Linux on.

I had some buddies, but distance and taking different paths in life have practically nullified those friendships.

As for womenfolk, I'm done caring about that. Maybe I'll find a girl that has what I need and likes me, but right now I doubt it. I don't even want to invest a whole lot of time into trying to find / get to know that special person. You guys are bound to get really bored by that same old rant, but I usually have so very little time. People may argue that watching DVDs and playing games is itself a waste of time, but to me that applies to other pastimes. Skiing for example.

Archived