Home

Handmaiden for a female PC

The Lone Badger

I'm trying to get the handmaiden in my party with a female character (replacing the disciple). I haven't been able to find any mods that do this, so I tried using KSE to change my character gender to Male before leaving Telos (intending to change it back afterwards). However in the cutscenes that play after boarding I'm still treated as female (Atton asks Bao-Dur if he has a chance, Handmaiden doesn't appear). I can edit NPCs in KSE, but I can't add them. Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I have looked and with the search function down it's difficult to find stuff. I haven't put this in Mod Requests because I'm open to other methods as well. Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In KSE, you need to change a Boolean variable

000_PLAYER_GENDER to "Yes"

When you board the Ebon Hawk, during the cinematic Handmaiden should join you.

When you regain control of your character, save the game again and change that variable back to "No" in KSE.

ps. I have no idea what consequences that will have on the game. Do at your own risk. And, BTW, you'll probably need to repeat this process before encounter with Disciple.

I did that, and it worked. Thanks. The only side-effect I've noted so far is that Visas doesn't seem to trigger quite right. She appeared next time I entered the Ebon Hawk, rather than after I got a second lightsabre piece, and the other NPCs did not vanish from the Hawk during our confrontation like they normally do.

Originally posted by Juriel

Edit: And someone does need to mod this at some point. Disciple is an annoyance, Handmaiden is nice.

Well, this is an easy mod, I already made it, but I believe my Disciple dialog file may have a glitch. Can some one perhaps tell me what happens when:

You are a male, and obviously already have Handmaiden in the party. You talk to Disciple the first time in Enclave Sublevel Archives. At the end of the dialog, he says he'll return to Khoonda and dialog ends.

In my game, nothing happens afterwards. He doesn't go anywhere and doesn't disappear. He remains in sublevel for the rest of the Dantooine mission.

The thing is, there is another dialog for him which runs when he's in Khoonda Plains, but in my game, I've never seen him there.

Maybe I'm missing somthing.

Xcom:

I played through the game once as LS Male and aside from talking to Disciple in the basement of the Enclave there was only one other brief snippet with him. I think it occurs when *you* are in Khoonda (I don't recall if the Disciple is actually there or not) and he msgs Carth and reports that he's found the exile, and then Carth tells him that the Republic is adopting a wait-and-see approach.

I hope that helps.

I played through as a DS male, and Disciple stayed at the spot in the Enclave where you first meet him, after saying he'll head to Khoonda. He was at Khoonda later on, he just never walked out of Enclave after our little chat ended.

And there was a brief cutscene of him contacting others and saying that the jedi was there, but it was never shown who he was talking to.

what needs to be edited is the Handmiaden charachter itself (and possibly some others) so it joins you regardless of gender. Thus the script has to be edited.

I don't know if there are any other gender checks in the Handmaidens script (shouldn't be, since she's not supposed to be around anyway if you're female), but in that case, they have to be edited too...

possible the scripts should be tweaked a bit, since Atton & Handmaiden would both be going after you...and they don't like eachother:D

Originally posted by Ellderon

what needs to be edited is the Handmiaden charachter itself (and possibly some others) so it joins you regardless of gender. Thus the script has to be edited.

I don't know if there are any other gender checks in the Handmaidens script (shouldn't be, since she's not supposed to be around anyway if you're female), but in that case, they have to be edited too...

possible the scripts should be tweaked a bit, since Atton & Handmaiden would both be going after you...and they don't like eachother:D

I have looked over all of the scripts and can not find it but you could just edit the gender check script that might fix the problem

Open KT

Find and expand ERFs>Modules>950COR_dlg.erf>H

Open holorec.dlg

Look about a 1/3 of the way down for the entry "{[Gameplay Programmer: If the player is male, the Handmaiden walks on board.]}"

Change the "Script that determines if node is available" from c_ismale to c_isfemale

Save to Override

Find and expand 610DAN_dlg.erf>D

Open disc_enc.dlg

Look about 3/4 of the way down for the entry "In any case, it seems to me like our goals are compatible."

Change the "Script that determines if node is available" from c_isfemale to c_ismale

Save to Override

Done. I haven't tested this but it should work. If anyone makes a mod out of this, they should be sure to give credit to Darth333 who found the Handmaiden entry for me :)

Originally posted by Achilles

Open KT

(Instructions Edited For space)

Save to Override

Done. I haven't tested this but it should work. If anyone makes a mod out of this, they should be sure to give credit to Darth333 who found the Handmaiden entry for me :)

Thanks Achilles! You just saved me a ton of searching so I can finally get the Handmaiden! :D

The Deciple isn't all that bad he just has this evil James Mason quality that gets on my nerves sometimes... ;)

Open KT

Find and expand ERFs>Modules>950COR_dlg.erf>H

Open holorec.dlg

Look about a 1/3 of the way down for the entry "{[Gameplay Programmer: If the player is male, the Handmaiden walks on board.]}"

Change the "Script that determines if node is available" from c_ismale to c_isfemale

Save to Override

Find and expand 610DAN_dlg.erf>D

Open disc_enc.dlg

Look about 3/4 of the way down for the entry "In any case, it seems to me like our goals are compatible."

Change the "Script that determines if node is available" from c_isfemale to c_ismale

Save to Override

I've made the changes I let you know tomarrow if it works

I've tried all this long ago. Yes it works, yes Handmainden joins. Using Achilles' method and changing the dialog will result in Handmaiden being erased later on, after you talk with Disciple (unless you change his two dialogs as well).

I also tried to modify actual c_ismale + c_isfemale scripts (which is easier than messing up the dialogs) to return certain values depending on the module name. This also worked and Disciple didn't join, but the major problem is that if your global variable 000_PLAYER_GENGER isn't modified appropriately during a large number of events, the game basically is screwed and some cutscenes won't trigger.

Eg:

If you are male, and leave Telos in Ebon Hawk you get a cinematic where two sisters approach Atris and say, "Our last sister is no longer among us.. blah blah". That's gender dependent, and it uses local script to check for it. If you are female, you won't get this scene, and probably many others.

Originally posted by Xcom

Using Achilles' method and changing the dialog will result in Handmaiden being erased later on, after you talk with Disciple (unless you change his two dialogs as well).

Ahem....Achilles' method does change Disciples dialogs :)

Out of curiosity, you mentioned two dialogs. What's the other one? TIA!

Ahem....Achilles' method does change Disciples dialogs :)

Out of curiosity, you mentioned two dialogs. What's the other one? TIA!

Sorry, I guessed I skimmed only through first paragraph of your post. :o

The 2nd one is also disc_enc.dlg, only in 602DAN (Khoonda) module.

One should remove ANY gender checks in any Handmaiden files, and allso in any Handmaiden related cutscenes.

For the Desciple, add a conversation option to tell him to go f*** off and he will not join you... Or fix that script so that joining part NEVER triggers

One should remove ANY gender checks in any Handmaiden files, and allso in any Handmaiden related cutscenes.

For the Desciple, add a conversation option to tell him to go f*** off and he will not join you... Or fix that script so that joining part NEVER triggers

*wonders if this will cause game crashes when the dialog doesn't know which VO to load*Hmmm....

If you did that for Atton than yes. He has different sentances for player male and female.

Handmaiden doesn't, so with her (or the desciple) it shouldn't be a problem.

Hmmm...have you been reading the thread or just commenting? You have to have gender checks in both dialogs or else the game won't know to add them to your party or not. So, at the very least, your first suggestion will probably cause the game to crash.

Another problem location for those using the edit means (And I'd suspect the 'appropiate' means as well).

Final Dantooine Sequence

The first cutscene after returning to the EbonHawk and talking to Atton just blackscreens.

[ Edit / Clarity ]

If you keep the variables set to Male, you're fine (and it's a way to work around that problem).

Archived