Home

Need help getting rid of short sabers [TSL]

Achilles

Well, you'd think that this would be simpler, but it appears that I'm not as smart as I once was.

The objective is to eliminate short lightsabers from the game (quest items not included) as easily as possible.

Here's what I've tried thus far:

* Opening all g_w_lightsaberXX.uti files and changing the Tag and TemplateResRef to the corresponding g_w_shortsbrXX.uti labels. This appeared to do exactly what I wanted it to, until I got the saber to a workbench. I can add upgrade crystals and components, but the color crystal is blank and if I click on that part of the GUI, the game crashes.

I thought this might be something with upcrystals.2da so I changed all the g_w_shortsbr entries to g_w_lghtsbr. No dice.

Resorted to going into Baseitems and making the change there. Still no luck, although I did not try this on it's own. Don't think this will make much difference though.

* Ok, so let's try scripting. Dug around and found k_inc_treas_k2.nss. Looks like the file that I need. Edit the necessary line, try to compile, and then learn that _inc files don't compile. Tried digging around some more, but haven't really found anything that looks too promising (a_give_q_reward gave me a glimmer of hope, but it looks like the only reference to actual .uti's happens up in the comments).

...and that's where I'm at. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If push comes to shove, I'll just play around with the itemcreate.2da files, but I'd rather avoid that route if I can.

TIA!

Achilles

Could you extract the reg. sabers model and rename them to the short saber .mdl? (hex editing as well) or are you trying to make the column in upcrystals.2da available to support different types of models (ie - Malak)?

I would think you'd still have to make appropriate changes in the baseitems.2da, wether matching the entries to the lightsaber or such... seeing as TSL is script happy, I'm sure there's calls to the shortsaber's object name...be it an inventory check or what-not...

Just trying to make it so that I don't have to look at a mountain of short lightsabers in my inventory anymore :D. Not trying to get fancy with Malak sabers and what not.

As for scripts, I'm sure that there is, but I've looked everywhere I know to, but still seem to be missing the critical piece of the puzzle.

Maybe you can edit baseitems.2da and copy fields from Lightsaber item to Short Lightsaber item.

(alternatively, you can edit all short lightsaber's UTIs and

change baseitem value to point at normal saber)

edit:

oh wait, I see you tried that already. Hmm.. strange it did't work.

Originally posted by Xcom

Hmm.. strange it did't work.

That's what me and a few other people have said. Again, the saber shows up just fine, with the exception of a missing color crystal and the inability to select this slot without crashing the game :(

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

Sorry to be off topic, just had to say this since it brought back memories of my time in the USMC. I was in Somalia with the Corps back in 92 and I saw a Mongoose get sucked into an intake to a Harrier jumpjet at the port controlled by US forces in Moguadishu, Somalia :D They are in the weasel family so I thought it fit........ :p

BTW: Back to topic I had a mod installed that had the same problems with the color crystal slot, that when you clicked on the image to change the color (that was blank BTW) the game would crash. I believe it was the mod that gave Hoth Robes and <yourname> lightsabers. They work ingame with the exception of upgrading the color crystal. So you are not the only one to come accross this problem, although you may be the first to notice or investigate it. I hope you find a solution to this and post it. Good luck.............

Originally posted by Achilles

Just trying to make it so that I don't have to look at a mountain of short lightsabers in my inventory anymore :D. Not trying to get fancy with Malak sabers and what not.

If that's all it is then why don't you just give yourself a bunch of Saber Color Crystals and then make them all have the same color. The items stack when they are the same color. In KotOR I I'd do that to keep track of Lightsabers. Since you can get a crapload of Red saber crystals I'd make all of the ones I wasn't using Red and then they'd stack up nicely. Any other color meant a saber that I actually used.

I know it isn't elegant (and its not a mod) but you can get around your problem that way. But perhaps you want to do the mod now just for the challenge of it...? ;)

That's what me and a few other people have said. Again, the saber shows up just fine, with the exception of a missing color crystal and the inability to select this slot without crashing the game :(

What if after you change UTIs basitem reference, you also edit upcrystals.2da and change short saber's entries to ****. (not normal sabers)

I clearly remember having similar problem when I was making single-handed staff mod. The problem was in upcrystals.2da IIRC.

Originally posted by SuperSquall

If that's all it is then why don't you just give yourself a bunch of Saber Color Crystals and then make them all have the same color. The items stack when they are the same color. In KotOR I I'd do that to keep track of Lightsabers. Since you can get a crapload of Red saber crystals I'd make all of the ones I wasn't using Red and then they'd stack up nicely. Any other color meant a saber that I actually used.

I know it isn't elegant (and its not a mod) but you can get around your problem that way. But perhaps you want to do the mod now just for the challenge of it...? ;)

Thanks for the input, however I think you've missed the point. 6 red short lightsabers are still 6 red short lightsabers. I'm not concerned about making my inventory GUI look pretty, I WANT REAL LIGHTSABERS :D

I'm going to try Xcom's suggestion and see if that does the trick. Thanks to all who have responded thus far.

Thanks for the input, however I think you've missed the point. 6 red short lightsabers are still 6 red short lightsabers. I'm not concerned about making my inventory GUI look pretty, I WANT REAL LIGHTSABERS :D

(yoda used a short lightsaber, didn't he?...) ;)

Anyway, I thought it was the clutter that was bugging you. My mistake.

Originally posted by Xcom

What if after you change UTIs basitem reference, you also edit upcrystals.2da and change short saber's entries to ****. (not normal sabers)

I clearly remember having similar problem when I was making single-handed staff mod. The problem was in upcrystals.2da IIRC.

Xcom, I tried that but no luck. I also downloaded your staff saber mod to see if I could reverse engineer what you had done, however your Upcrystals.2da looks pretty normal (aside from your custom sabers). Any more ideas?

Thanks again.

Archived