Home

difference between rim, erf, mod, etc...

Xcom

What is it? :o

I don't mean file formats, but more like: in what situation should one use RIM resource and in what MOD resource, ERF, BIF.. :nut:

I'm trying to build my own packaging tool. So far, I've managed to pack RIM and MOD modules and they work with TSL. yay! However, I had no luck making TSL read ERFs with custom content. Does anyone know where ERFs should normally be placed?

Darth, your first two links point to the same page which is a list with file formats downloads.

In any case, I've seen most of those documents, but thanks anyway.

I have a strong feeling that aside from actual file structures, the info in those docs only applies to NWN. Obviously, BioWare made some changes to Odyssey and OE has probably done that as well.

I am actually interested in the conventions of using all those different resource packages.

For example, to pack modules:

Kotor uses:

modulename.rim ( git, are, ifo)

modulename_s.rim (the rest of local files)

TSL uses:

modulename.rim ( git, are, ifo)

modulename_dlg.erf (dlg)

modulename_s.rim (the rest of local files)

Why the heck is TSL using ERFs for dialogs?

I've tried packing my custom module in one rim file containing all necessary files and it worked... so why are they having three packages for one module?

Also, Kotor has some files in Rims folder. TSL doesn't appear to use RIMs for anything other than modules. Any insights?

Archived