Home

XWA on an ATi Radeon?

Guest Grifter

Guest Grifter

Hey Everyone, I'm considering getting a Radeon for my system and just wanted to get everyone's opinions on it before I go out and spend the cash? In particular, has anyone played XWA on a Radeon? If so, how does it look?

Thanks,

Grifter

Radeon is ATi's effort to confront nVidia and it's GeForce 2 . It's a card with two GPU's, namely 2 Rage 128. Hmmmm...no, that's Fury MAXX. Radeon is a brand new GPU ! wink.gif

It's a very good card wich excels in video and DVD playback, but regarding 3D, it was never ATi's strong point !

Make no mistake, it's powerful alright, but it's no match for the new Geforce.

Considering the fact that it's price is not giving to it a clear marketing advantage Grifter, you should deside what features you really want from a card and the spend your money.

As for XWA performance, because of ATi's standards, it will perform extremelly well with vivid colors and fast frame rates.

Remember that XWA's rather old graphics engine cannot cause problems to such a card.

------------------

"No matter how pretty the bait,

a hook is still a hook !"

TZG+7

[This message has been edited by Fondas (edited November 21, 2000).]

Guest Grifter

Thanks all of you for your replies. I'm debating the ATi Radeon because I can get a Radeon 64MB DDR for 280 bucks (an assortment of discounts at a local store and I get a brand new retail version) so the cost of the card is lower than a Geforce 2 GTS that I have been looking at. I'm just concerned with its weaker 16-bit performance. I enjoy playing XWA and Jedi Knight and both are 16-bit color games (I could be wrong about XWA but JK is 16-bit). I do like the DVD playback on the Radeon though.

I've been living with the built-in graphics card on my ASUS CUSL2 i815E motherboard for the past 3.5 months and I'm getting really itchy to get a new video card.

I'll guess I'll just keep debating. More opinions and/or personal experiences are welcome.

Thanks alot,

Grifter

Guest SadShadow

i dont care what Video Card do you want JUST PLAY XWING ALLIANCE AND SIT DOWN!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

SadShadow

The Shadow Lone Wing

Grifter, you just have to know where to find your hardware. I bought my GTS2 from a guy at a hardware forums. It's an brandnew OEM creative labs 32mg Geforce GTS2. Which means no box or drivers. BUT, it cost me $180. biggrin.gif I went and loaded the detanator 6.26 drivers and that baby screams. I have a PIII 700 overclocked to 933 so that GTS card is running at a FSB of 89, stock is 66. It is very over clockable and has many functions.

since I bought mine his price has gone down too. he also caries the 64MG version which was about $260 when I bought mine but it has gone down also. The guy ships them packaged very nicely and I had mine in 3 days.

he has sold a bunch of these and has a very good reputation there.

Let me know and I'll tell you where you can find him.

Archived