Home

Bao-Dur's Arm - Using a similar effect?

Mono_Giganto

I don't think this is possible, but I thought I would ask to make sure.

Looking at Bao-Dur's body model, I noticed that his arm consists of a series of four models, named beamflame or something close to that. My question is: Is it possible to use that model or a similar effect in a user-created model? My efforts have given me nothing, and I was curious if anyone found out how to do this. I didn't think it was possible because of the animations, but you never know.

Hope to hear from someone!

I haven't looked carefully at this but from what i know of shadders back in my days of Quake3 modelling and modding, i can says that if the effect is rendered by textures (and i guess it is the trick here) you can reproduced the effect by using the same textures and shadders on any model you want (you need a good UVW map for your model). If i'm not wrong you simply have to use the texture(s) file(s) and the txi file that goes with it (them)

I have not looked carefully at this so i may be wrong, don't get mad at me if i am...

I hope this can help you.

Well that's the main problem, the effect is generated by a "string" of four dummies, and I can't texture dummies. Nor can I properly export my model without ResetXForm, which if I had to guess was the cause of the beam not showing up. It's probably not possible at the moment, but that's alright, I'll just have to rely on my modelling skills rather than flashy animations. Yeah we'll see how long that lasts.

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

I don't know how to do it, but I hope you figure it out because that would be awesome to have on your pc. Good luck!

Actually I planned on using it for a gun model I was going to finish up. But after I observed the effect ingame, the way it works just wouldn't work for my model anyway, I need something closer to the Shock effect.

Originally posted by T7nowhere

What exactly do you want to do. If you want one part of the Blaster to look like its sparking with electricity you could use an animated texture on that one part of the model.

I wanted two cubes that sat on top of the gun, and I wanted an effect similar to Bao-Dur's arm or the Shock effect flowing in between those cubes, but I'm not familiar with using animated textures. Can you drop me a line T7? :D

Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

the Shock effect flowing in between those cubes,

An arc of electricty would be pretty sweet, But I haven't tried to do that. I have tried to compile a model with Bao-Dur's arm but the effect was killed :(

If you can make the mesh that you want to have the effect one piece, we might be able to get an effect close to what you want. But it might take a bit playing with textures to get it right. I really think that in the case of Bao-Durs arm it has to do with animations in the model. cchargin might know something more about it.

I'm not really completely certain how the other animated textures work But the one I used on MY force pike, Visor and Sith Sword looked like this,

proceduretype cycle

numx 4

numy 4

fps 32

decal 1

downsamplemax 0

downsamplemin 0

Some of the game textures have animation info that can be extracted but alot of it is just garbage or doesn't show at all.

Originally posted by T7nowhere

I really think that in the case of Bao-Durs arm it has to do with animations in the model. cchargin might know something more about it.

Yeah, it does. Look at fx_Baodur.tpc, it has all of the "frames" for animation.

And as for the one piece mesh, would a simple cylinder work? I wasn't going to have it "arc" so much as just flow between point A and point B

Well if you want it to look like 2 parts you can just hide most of it with in the mesh that will have a normal texture. I do think that it will be possible to get it to appear to flow. it all really depends on the texture used or made.

Well what you want to do is apply a second texture(your fx_texture) to the piece that you want the effect on and then add the info to animate the texture to the txi.

ITs worth a try at anyrate.

Archived