Home

Rest in Peace, Holy Father

Thought this one deserved a topic of its own.

It's so strange, being that I am 24; he has been the pope for my entire life.

What a champion of life he was, and he lived his own life to the fullest. If the next one who sits in the chair of Peter is even half the man he was, we will be in good hands.

My dad was at his coronation and took like a million pictures. His ship was in Naples for a few weeks and the date was set for the Pope to be made Pope while they were there. A bunch of guys figured it was worth driving up to Rome to see it. They got there really, really early in the morning and were able to get a good spot at St Peter's. I wish I could get over there for the next one, but 1) no money and 2) week before finals.

I saw him when he came here to Moncton in '84... I was only 13 months old at the time, though.

Being Anglican, the Pope has no official religious signifigance to me, but Karol Jozef Wojtyla was a man that I believe had some sort of signifigance to everyone, regardless of denomination, or even religion... He will be missed by members of every faith.

Originally posted by Nitro

Karol Jozef Wojtyla was a man that I believe had some sort of signifigance to everyone, regardless of denomination, or even religion... He will be missed by members of every faith.

Well said, his death is not only a loss for Catholics, but for anyone and everyone who fosters peace in the world. He was a man of peace, much needed in these troubling times. I just hope his successor can have the same effect.

i saw the pope in '93 at world youth day in denver and again in Rome at a papal audience in 96. By '96 he had already started the decline in health but he still took time out to recognize specifically our group of students who were visiting. That was an incredible moment.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen+

Also, I cannot fathom why suddenly everyone thinks that with the death of John Paul II, the Catholic Chuch will now allow women priests, contraception, abortion, etc. How can you go on national television and say that without having done the minimal research required to find out that that is impossible? That changing those things is not within any pope's authority any more than declaring murder and stealing perfectly fine things to do? Can't we just remember the pope without injecting our own agendas into things?

Has somebody actually said those things? That I have not heard yet.

But then I really haven't been home much, or watching much TV lately.

Like everything these days, the 24-hour TV news cycle needs to be filled with something, (ANYTHING!) so they cover every story half to death in the first hour,... then the producers have to find every wacko with a manifesto to get on TV and spew whatever half-baked opinion they have formed in the years since they have gone off thier medication.

Well, Fox News has generally had very good, respectful, fair coverage during all of this, and have had very good and insightful guests, but even they have brougt it up. I expected it on CNN, which has had terrible coverage. But I don't really blame the networks; like I said, I just would have thought the individuals being interviewed would have checked up on these things before talking about them on national television.

No, JPII was very anti-contraception. If you read any of his books on morallity, this is very obvious. You may be thinking of another recent pope, who I cannot recall at the time, who was said to be pro-contraception and then changed his mind and defended the Church's position most energetically. But I'm sure it wasn't JP II. Maybe Pius XII or Paul VI. Humanæ Vitæ was Paul VI's so either that makes tons of sense or none at all.

most reporters apparently know nothing about how Catholic doctrine works since they talk about JPII's "opinion" and "viewpoint" on those issues. It's not about his opinion. His opinion actually has zero bearing on the issue. Even if he were for women priests or contraception, he couldn't say it is okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived