Home

Linux Advice

jon_hill987

I was thinking of installing Linux on my laptop, but so far my search for information has given me more questions that answers. I'm sure some people here run Linux, so i thought I would ask. Consider me a compleate n00b. is there any advice anyone can give me?

Anyway here are a few questions to start of with. I'm sure they are really simple and dumb questions so don't laugh.

Is it worth it?

Can i run any of my windows programs on it.

It seems there are about as many versions as there are bugs on your windscreen on a summers day. Would you recomended any?

There is a possibility of hardware compaitibility issues. I have a friend who tried installing linux on his box and his main harddrive was recognized fine, but he absolutely couldn't get it to recognize his other HD's, and I think his CD-ROM drive was farked too.

Of course, you can GET the drivers you need, but my friend didn't want the hassle of it all, so he just went back to windows.

I was gonna keep windows aswell so if it dosn't work out I won't have a problem.

I did a search for GUI and I found this one that looks good.

link

I also found this it is one that runs off the CD, I though it might be a good start.

another question; what are RPMs? i assume it isn't revolutions per min.

*bump* (sorry about the double post)

Thanx for the advice, I think I am gonna use Kubuntu, I prefer the GUI that comes with it.

Wish me luck. I'll install it when I get round to backing up my stuff so I can set up the partitions without risking losing anything, probably tuesday.

So if I vannish from the forums on tuesday you will know i have compleatly f***ed up my computer!

Archived