Home

Dialog animation numbering scheme

tk102

I have been looking at the values in .dlg for Animation (in Entry and Reply structs under AnimList list). These values correspond to the row numbers in dialoganimations.2da but have either 1000 or 10000 added to them. In KotOR most animations had 10000 added to them, but in TSL it looks pretty evenly distributed.

Does anybody know what the numbers 1000 or 10000 mean in terms of dialog animations? I'm guessing it is some sort of flag -- maybe 1000=cutscene and 10000=normal gameplay?

In v2.1.5 of DLGEditor, I provided the user with basically two sets of animation lists: the 1000 series and the 10000 series.

From what I can tell, adding 10000 makes it grab animation from animations.2da. I haven't tried it in dialogues but it works this way in scripts, and I don't see why it should be different.

Therefore, +1000 probably points to dialoganimations.2da. However... For example, in Nar Shadaa you see in one custcene where Hanharr grabs Mira by the neck and lifts her in the air. The numbers are 1020 and 1024 and there are two participants, obviously. Strangely, in dialoganimations.2da those rows are empty.. :giveup:

do we have a VFXanimations.2da at all? Because I have noticed there are others of these odd ball 2da files that may relate in the past. I'm at work and won't be near my computer for another 12 hours so I can't check.

That is the only thing I could speculate that may use those reference Xcom.

Another thought is it may relate similiar to a Hex code but not the same. Some of the 2da files I have found in the past use byte codes to point to other 2da files. Example might be 1024 the 2 may point to the 2nd 2da of this nature and the 4 to it's 4th entry. But this is not necesarily the case and doesn't work in every occurance.(This is when I wish for a developers tool.:mad:)

Originally posted by Xcom

From what I can tell, adding 10000 makes it grab animation from animations.2da. I haven't tried it in dialogues but it works this way in scripts, and I don't see why it should be different.

Therefore, +1000 probably points to dialoganimations.2da.

To further add to the confusion, this does not always seem to be the case.

For example, The Handmaiden model's "pull down hood" animation is called as 10507, and the "hood down" animation in dialoganimations.2da is index 507 (while index 507 in animations.2da is some weapon flurry animation).

(This animation is used both in a cutscene when you first arrive at Citadel Station, and then at the start of the dialog when you first enter the Academy on Telos.)

Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-

To further add to the confusion, this does not always seem to be the case.

For example, The Handmaiden model's "pull down hood" animation is called as 10507, and the "hood down" animation in dialoganimations.2da is index 507 (while index 507 in animations.2da is some weapon flurry animation).

(This animation is used both in a cutscene when you first arrive at Citadel Station, and then at the start of the dialog when you first enter the Academy on Telos.)

But that information may lead us to the apropriate code reference then because that would mean that a dialoge animation will be preceded by 10 while a non-dialogue animation may be preceeded by 100. This is just a hunch and may prove false though. If there is another animation 2da of some sort that may further answer questions.

Therefore, +1000 probably points to dialoganimations.2da. However... For example, in Nar Shadaa you see in one custcene where Hanharr grabs Mira by the neck and lifts her in the air. The numbers are 1020 and 1024 and there are two participants, obviously. Strangely, in dialoganimations.2da those rows are empty.. :giveup:

Hmm, I've never gotten the impression that animations.2da played any role in dialogs. The other night I went through all the undocumented animations and tried them out with kreia.dlg. I liked getting her to courtsy. :) It seemed that 10000 and 1000 performed the same animations (dialoganimations.2da row number = Animation % 1000). I did notice that some animations would override the CameraAngle value that I had specified, giving me a closeup shot and preventing me from seeing the full model animate.

DLGEditor 2.1.5 contains the descriptions from dialoganimations.2da along with my own descriptions of the undocumented animations.

Oh well, then my theorie goes down the drain.

Anyways, I'd very much like to know what animation is used when

Visas harakiri's herself on Ravager,

because I'd like to use via a script. From the dialog it's number 1030. Sadly, using PlayAnimation(1030) or PlayAnimation(10030) ... had no effect on Visas ..or anyone else for that matter. The Ravager dialog also calls a script for that (a_nihilus.nss, located in 862NIh).

It looks like a generic script that performs certain stuff in sequence depending on passed parameter (for that sequence param1 = 15). Maybe the animation is called from there. Stoffe, if you have nothing to do, could you maybe look at it.. :)

I only hope this anim isn't restricted to dialogue usage. That would be a bummer.

Edit tk102: Spoiler spoiler. I'm making my way to the Ravager right now. :(

The Ravager dialog also calls a script for that (a_nihilus.nss, located in 852NIH).

It looks like a generic script that performs certain stuff in sequence depending on passed parameter (for that sequence param1 = 15). Maybe the animation is called from there. Stoffe, if you have nothing to do, could you maybe look at it.. :)

Sure why not, here's code for that script. Enjoy your reading, though I'm not sure you'll find what you are looking for... :)

Originally posted by Darkkender

I was looking through nwscript last night and it had a some references to animation action script functions. that shared numbers with your above animations xcom but I couldn't find anything that helped anybetter.

Well, this is yet another piece of the puzzle. The nwscript has several constants defined for a couple of dozen of animations, and they also don't correspond with anything from animations.2da. However, they do work when used in ActionPlayAnimation command. This all makes me wonder whether the anim 2da files have any actual use in TSL. Maybe it's all defined internally .. somehow.. :confused:

Archived