Home

Two videos on IGN.Com (spoilers)!

starmark2k

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

:52 - Tow cables? Again?! No offence, but does that feature have to be in every single game?! Gawd, how tired I am of it. Having tow cables in every single SW game is like having those socks filled with explosives and dipped in tar from Saving Private Ryan in every single WW II game and movie.

We knew they were in from screenshots. That wasn't a surprise and it's the snowspeeder's trademark.

:52 - The Rancor I dislike strongly, especially if the Rebels get it as a recruitable/playable unit.

I agree but it did seem to be eating a Rebel Soldier. The movie quality isn't very good so...

1:00 - Y-Wings don't drop bombs more than light sabres fire blaster bolts. Common knowledge if you've watched A new hope:rolleyes:.

Play a Star Wars space sim.

It's the snowspeeder's trademark.

It's still a cliché. It was used in one battle (no book or movie says otherwise) and suddenly it's in every single battle with the snow speeders?

I seriously doubt any AT-AT commander would be dumb enough to fall for that trick again after two AT-ATs were taken down that way on Hoth. They'd simply have stopped the walker and gotten some other unit like an AT-ST or storm trooper to shoot the cable apart.

Apart from that, I still dislike it as an AT-AT is a lumbering, heavy battle machine that should not be easy to trip using a single light fighter. At the very least, force me to use an X-Wing or Y-Wing or something that packs a punch.

Play a Star Wars space sim.

I played every game of the X-Wing series (XW, TF, XWvsTF, XWA+plus all the x-packs). They have proton torpedoes in all of them. They do in unofficial games/mods like SW Warlords and Galactic Conquest, too, although that hardly proves anything more than the official games do.

But that's not really relevant as we know from A New Hope that they carry torpedoes on their mission to blow up the Death Star. There's no mention of Y-Wings carrying the bombs they have in Force Commander and the Rogue Squadron series.

Yes, you can, if there's a shortcut key called "Camera: Follow selected unit", like the "/" key in Empires, for example.

Oh.. yes.. sorry, misunderstood you.

I think it may be more complex than that if it is implemented.. sometimes the camera panned around a ship, sometimes we saw a TIE scream overhead, sometimes we followed a TIE fighter through the battle...

I'm sure whatever they put in will be cool..

I agree pretty much w/ Dagobahn Eagle on his points, although it could be possible that the whole snowspeeder/tow cable could be easily explained away by having it as a research "upgrade" for snowspeeders.

Also on the Y-Wings with the bombs; I don't mind that, as Y-Wings are generally regarded as boming vehicles - but as Dagobahn Eagle has said, they are shown in various games and EU sources as having proton torpedos. Again, this can be easily explained away by stipulating that Y-Wings have interchangable payloads.

BTW: /me drools at huge space battle goodness. Now we just need a restart of the X-Wing series with battles that huge.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

Actually, if you look carefully, they were deflecting the Cruiser's fire away from the bombers.

Interesting, I really didn't notice that... It would definately be cool if that was the case, the element it would add to the game would be great.

On the point of music: Dagobahn Eagle is spot on. I hope I am echoing his sentiments when I say that I don't want to totally abandon the tradition of Star Wars music (such as the music from the opening crawl and other select peices). What I DO want to hear are new orchestral compositions returning to the tradition of the older Star Wars games like Dark Forces, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter which had their own orchestrations for various levels / moods.

As far as the Death Star is concerned, lets hope that if the rebels win the fight against the main imperial fleet that the game then shifts to the next stage; a battle over the Death Star and through the trench.

Ok, brett in one video I think made a few things clearer.

1. The Deathstar is powerful, but really really slow (as it should be, no?)

2. There's a cinematic camera that you can engage that sounds neat, so you can watch huge battles unfold while pulling out the popcorn.

3. Vader's got force powers! He can lift and then crush tanks and stuff.

4. Control can get as basic or as detailed as you want. You can command elements of a squad, or you can have squads always work together.

5. The starfighter-capital ship fights are flawless, I was afraid it was going to be as he mentioned it, "oven racky." Well done.

6. All in all, looks a solid game, want to see it soon!

I played every game of the X-Wing series (XW, TF, XWvsTF, XWA+plus all the x-packs). They have proton torpedoes in all of them. They do in unofficial games/mods like SW Warlords and Galactic Conquest, too, although that hardly proves anything more than the official games do.

Obviously, you missed the part where you could arm your Y-Wing with heavy bombs in X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

I do not remember if we could do that in X-Wing but I do know that it's possible to arm your bombers with whatever warhead is available in Tie Fighter.

But that's not really relevant as we know from A New Hope that they carry torpedoes on their mission to blow up the Death Star. There's no mention of Y-Wings carrying the bombs they have in Force Commander and the Rogue Squadron series.

So was the Tie Bomber not carrying anything else then bombs. As far as we know, they don't even have any laser canons but in the flight sims, they do carry proton torpedoes, heavy rockets and missiles too for gameplay reasons.

He's obviously not a fan otherwise he wouldn't complain about what IS Star Wars it shouldn't matter if it were Cliche it's still STAR WARS it is THE RTS we have been waiting for for OVER THREE YEARS you like it or leave it instead of nit-picking an unfinished project you obviously subscribe to the maxim only FOOLS comment on unfinished work and you certainly are a FOOL.

As to the rancor, according to the interview at E3, the rancor is allied with noone. Kills anything that is foolish enough to come in range. As to the Y-wing, official or not, bombs will need to be on some ship in the Rebellion to balance out the Tie Bombers, and since its fairly widely accepted by SW game players that Y-wings can hold bombs its the most logical choice without creating new ships. It's for gameplay reasons as lukeiamyourdad said.

Well, you can have it as a dive bomber exclusively since its spear shape since well adapted for the task but you'd still need a ship for carpet bombing and between creating a whole new ship and simply rearming one, I'll take the one that's more cost-effective.

I do hope we can arm our fighter and bomber squadrons with the warheads we want.

Obviously, you missed the part where you could arm your Y-Wing with heavy bombs in X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Forward-fired bombs, mind you, not down-ward-dropped ones. And you certainly didn't have the dozen of them that bombers seem to have in EaW - you had a couple of heavy, slow-moving things that were actually way to big to fit inside the tubes, now that I think of it:p.

As to the Y-wing, official or not, bombs will need to be on some ship in the Rebellion to balance out the Tie Bombers

With respect, it can carry proton torpedoes and balance out the TIE Bomber still. More so, in fact, as it doesn't need to get as close to fire torpedoes.

So was the Tie Bomber not carrying anything else then bombs.

No, but it clearly has a warhead launcher on the port pod. The Y-Wing, however, has nothing that looks like a bomb bay on its underside. Plus the fact that the Bomber was never required to use lasers or torpedoes in the movie, while Y-Wings sure could've used their bombs on the first Death Star.

Small thing, but I'm just saying it.

He's obviously not a fan otherwise he wouldn't complain about what IS Star Wars it shouldn't matter if it were Cliche it's still STAR WARS it is THE RTS we have been waiting for for OVER THREE YEARS you like it or leave it instead of nit-picking an unfinished project you obviously subscribe to the maxim only FOOLS comment on unfinished work and you certainly are a FOOL.

If you phrased that in a more polite fashion, maybe I'd address it.

Forward-fired bombs, mind you, not down-ward-dropped ones. And you certainly didn't have the dozen of them that bombers seem to have in EaW - you had a couple of heavy, slow-moving things that were actually way to big to fit inside the tubes, now that I think of it:p.

True to an extent. They are indeed fired forward but were rather inneffective when used in that fashion. It was better to close in and fire it extremely close to the target. If you weren't targetting anything in particular (not the shield generators or turbolaser turrets) it was even more effective to let it drop when you were on top of the enemy ship.

But you are right about the Y-Wing only having a couple of them though they could be fitted with special bombs.

With respect, it can carry proton torpedoes and balance out the TIE Bomber still. More so, in fact, as it doesn't need to get as close to fire torpedoes.

Then it overpowers the Tie Bomber. Like I said, it could be a nasty dive bomber but could be used for carpet bombing when needed. Carpet bombing targets a large area rather then a single target.

No, but it clearly has a warhead launcher on the port pod. The Y-Wing, however, has nothing that looks like a bomb bay on its underside. Plus the fact that the Bomber was never required to use lasers or torpedoes in the movie, while Y-Wings sure could've used their bombs on the first Death Star.

Actually, they didn't use bombs against the first Death Star because those heavy bombs have a very poor homing system compared to proton torpedoes. So heavy bombs were not needed unless you wanted to scratch the surface.

In the same way, the Y-Wing doesn't seem to have anything ressembling a proton torpedoes launcher, compared to the X-Wing where it's easy to spot.

Alright so I posted a new video at the starting post of the topic. It looks pretty interesting. So go on and watch :p .

Alright, so one thing that really bugs me aside from the fact that Darth Vader can take insane amounts of damage, he can also destroy a tank with the force... A bit too over powered in my opinion.

Or make the animations for hero units more dynamic... vader taking out a tank with the force? meh a bit far fetched... but vader jumping on top of a tank cutting open a hole and owning the pilots? yeah I could see that. That would rock. Also show us the hero units actually blocking blaster fire, argh!

Okay so there is another 'Full version' of the one I posted yesterday. It's 47 minutes long but if you want more footage here you go. Of note in the Video:

- (9:49) Great shots of Star Destroyer's breaking up

- (12:33) Rancors can destroy At-Ats seemingly in one large hit

- (17:50) Looks like Large tank wrecakge might be persistent. When the AT-AT falls, some AT-STs in the back look like they may have been there for a while and are sending plumes of smoke into the air.

- (28:00) Good shots of the Galactic Map.

- (28:28) Dagobah is on the Map.

- (28:52) A planet called Ryloth is on the Map.

Also on the Galactic map it appear that at the above left of a planet is a little icon that indicates whose control it is under. In addition to the Rebel and Imperial Icons there is a 3rd Icon visible above Ryloth. Probably the Neutral icon.

Archived