Home

Attaching models to players

GangsterAngel

im attempting to attatch a model to a client.

but i want the model to be attatched on the hip.

i am using

#define JKG_WEAPON_LIMB  (1 << (G2_MODELPART_WAIST-10))

which i belive should be the back waist bolt.

but its attatching the model straight thru the center of the client....

help appreciated.

if the models you want to attach has always the same space angle when attached to a model., you can hardcode the angles in the glm or md3 as offset positions and angle and bolt it to a bone...

But if the you want to be able to bolt this attached model on various angles, you are forced to render the attached model yourself

Hmmm... another way I used to do in other engines is have two models:

One the true model used for the player (eg; weapon used when firing)

and

Two the fake prop model used for like this type of stuff.

For the prop model, you can offset the model in the modeling program and then save it. Eg; have say something for the back of the player you would move the mesh back a little bit, this way even though its being attach right to the bone it will be off in the correct way.

OJP does this by using model bones to attach extra weapons onto the models. There's a better, more robust solution involving rendering on the client side directly instead of using Ghoul2, but I haven't done that for OJP yet.

do you mean visual weapon holstering? I thought it was using custom tags O.o

I wonder, could this attachment of models to players allow somebody to re-create the functionality of the Rail Detonator (from JK1/MotS) in JA?

raildet0lu.gif

Then again, I've seen mods that let you shoot grappling hooks into people's a$$e$, so apparently that's possible!

Hey Ace. Would it be possible to have weapons that you can see on your belt ect via just existing code? I thought I saw somewhere in the files that there are the tags for the weapons. Now I know it may be messy (as to have say pelvis_tag instead of bowcaster_tag cause bowcaster was made just for this feature), but if you offset them, it would work correct? To do a fake prop for say the saber and have it attached to the hip bones that way all models don't need to have the new tags?

I wonder, could this attachment of models to players allow somebody to re-create the functionality of the Rail Detonator (from JK1/MotS) in JA?

raildet0lu.gif

Then again, I've seen mods that let you shoot grappling hooks into people's a$$e$, so apparently that's possible!

You know Kurgan, I tried working on that for the next release of the old school mod but gave up, but I did do the carbo... a mots gun ;)

Why'd you give up? Some trick that made it not work?

Carb gun in Old School mod?? Woot!!

The only thing that stopped me from trying the OSM was it sounded like it was unbalanced, but maybe I was wrong...

The biggest hurdle is the code, but once that's done, some quality models and sound effects that give you the feel of the original weapon really would put the icing on the cake!

Archived