Home

Game 'voluntary' quits or ends

JohnLocke

Disable sound under the mixer config. If its working now, you have another program open that is attempting to use the sound card at the same times as SWBF2.

Scan your hard drive for errors. Include scanning for bad sectors. Scan your memory chips for errors. There are program for the memory scan online to do this. I'm looking for good memory scanner now too.

Random errors are the worst to track down. The sound problem normally crashes the game when you are moving from the game menu to your first map. Memory problems would effect your entire system, so it doesn't sound like you have those. Do you know how hot your system is running? Could the graphics card be overheating?

I checked the core temp a couple of times. Stupid me forgot to write down the actual number, but after a few hours it seems to be only about 2 degrees above its boot up temp, whether I'm playing BF or other intense games, or just web surfing, so I'm assuming that's its normal operating temp. Graphics card temp though, good question. I honestly wouldn't begin to know how to check that. I have noticed it occur with other graphic-rich or fast paced games too. So I might be leaning towards my graphic card.

Well your sence of touch should be good for testing the graphic card temp. If you can't leave your hand/finger on it for a good amount of seconds, the card is too hot. Its better to touch the heat sink (the metal thing on the underside of the card) then any other area of the graphic card. Watch out for a fan if your card has one. Don't nick your fingers on it and make sure the fan is spinning. I just had to replaced my graphics card's fan yesterday. Check the temp right as the game crashes, it would be hottest at this time.

(Thinking about it, if the card was overheating, it would more likely freeze the computer then crash to the desktop, so this is most likely not the problem. It should be checked anyway.)

Archived