Home

Is it possible to edit the names of AI units?

EmperorJello

This is more of a cosmetic question, but I really liked how the Republic units use Greek letters to designate themselves. It reminded me of the game TIE Fighter, where Imperial squadrons did the same. I was wondering if it was possible to get the game to use the same naming scheme for Imperials?

• 2 weeks later...

It's arbitrary--those were serial numbers, but in a combat situation, it'd make more sense to use a proper unit designation. In a single unit, there might be thousands of different numerical permutations--it's far more sensible to use a unit-based system. TIE demonstrated, after all, that despite the fact that pilots had serial numbers, they were identified by their position in the unit. Those units used Greek letters.

• 1 month later...

Yes, you can change them. You need to download and install the patch and mod tools.

Read the Getting Started guide of the mod tools. Now make yourself a map. Run editlocalize.bat from your map directory. You can now edit almost every string (including AI names) in the game. Munge (its in the Getting Started guide) your changed language files and copy them into the game (backup your old ones first).

• 1 month later...

Archived