Home

Devastation in India

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Okay...time to get technical. rolleyes.gif

To put this in visual terms that every lay scientist here can follow--I will cite the Einsteinian demonstration of space/time and gravitation relativity that uses a simple sheet of rubber and a ball. biggrin.gif

Stretch the rubber sheet tightly. This two-dimensional plane represents three-dimensional space for our model. Now...toss the ball onto the sheet. The dimple the ball causes by stretching the sheet represents gravity; it is mass distorting the fabric of space/time. A normal object causes a minor dimple, which stays with it no matter where on the sheet it rolls--just like gravity.

Say we make that ball really, really heavy...like our supermassive singularity. It now pulls the sheet down with it, into a long tube. This is where we get to the crux of my biscuit; it is a minor point, so pay attention.

Into what dimension is our rubber sheet being pulled? Remember, the sheet represents all of three-dimensional space. So what is this space into which normal space is distorted by a singularity? Something more than space...other than space.

Making a singularity multispatial in nature. See what I'm getting at? Probably not. Nevermind.

It's late. biggrin.gif Good night.

Guest SadShadow

God Bless you rolleyes.gif

------------------

"Im becoming less human..."

SadShadow

The Lone Shadow Wing

[This message has been edited by SadShadow (edited January 30, 2001).]

Not technical enough, I'm afraid.

You answered your question (into what dimension the sheet is being pulled) yourself. Namely, it is the same dimension as the dimple, a third dimension of the sheet. This third (our fourth) dimension, also known as time, is stretched under the influence of the singularity. But it's stretched to an infinte length. In other words, the behaviour of the sheet is asymptotic. That means that the rubber sheet never touches that alleged "other space".

But let's imagine that it could be possible that normal space contacts "other space". Would the singularity then pop through the sheet into the "other space"? Does that free the rubber sheet of the singularity, causing the sheet to spring back? Would it cause a sinusoidal motion of the sheet and what consequences would that have?

Interesting questions that scream for an answer. I think I'm gonna call Stephan Hawking. biggrin.gif

------------------

Yo, Echelon! Bomb, Osama Bin Laden, nuclear, terrorism, assassination, Saddam, C4, murder, marxism, biological warfare.

SPY ON ME.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

*Levity vanishes*

Yeah, I heard that, too! I was looking through some of the still shots at CNN.com, and the buildings are just shattered! Like they were made of clay or something...

I realize that the building standards in Gujarat may be less safe for earthquakes than here on the west coast of the United States, but the damage was still largely due to what a huge freaking earthquake it was! eek.gif

I'm glad that India is taking foreign aid at least. In a world as interconnected as ours, no nation should have to bear a disaster like this alone.

frown.gif

Guest garyah99

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit:

A multi-spatial singularity, traveling at high velocity, at a right angle to the solar system's ecliptic, has disturbed the Earth's tectonics?

My thoughts exactly!

Actually I was thinking more in terms of Bible prophecy. Try reading Matthew 24. smile.gif

Guest garyah99

My Pleasure....Matthew 24 vs 4 - 8.."Jesus answered: Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming,"I am the Christ", and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumours of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains."

There is much more to Jesus end times prophecies, but I don't think you want all 35 verses of Matthew 24. If you want more info, check out Ezekiel, Daniel, Jeremiah, Thessalonians, and of course Revelation. Approximately 25% of the Bible is prophecy.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

So that extra dimension we warp our singularity into is time? *(Abruptly returns to the physics.)* I suppose that makes sense...it explains the time dilation associated with mass, and verifies the multispatiality (via time, quantum etc.) associated with everything!

Why, then, do we always hear reference to space/time, which are supposed to be coexistant? Wouldn't this model suggest that they are separate? confused.gif

Hey, where's that professor we sent out for--and the pizza? I ain't payin' if it's cold!

The doc is getting the pizza, but his wheelchair can only do 8 mi/h so I expect him to be back by 5 a.m. tomorrow. So you'd better start warming up the microwave.

Time isn't separate from space. It's just one of the coordinate axis of space/time. There's a x, y, z and time axis. Together they form space/time.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

This unit has not downloaded that math. biggrin.gif I'm afraid I must stick with simple, spatial understanding. So far I can grok the three dimensions, then expand it in the 'time' direction, giving a fourth...but it still seems to me that there must be a fifth, in order for quantum multispatiality to occur.

See what I'm getting at? My rough layman's understanding of what happens at the subatomic level has particles existing in potential, which of course implies that many realities are possible for the particle...which means that time is not a simple past-to-future affair, but a more complex phenomenon where potential realities must be accounted for. All of this needs 'room' in which to happen, which means a fifth dimension.

See? The phenomena associated with a singularity (or to a lesser degree, any massive object) distorts space/time in a direction which affects what we perceive as time. These distortions, nevertheless, must have 'room' into which they distort. This same 'extra-space/time' dimension would be the direction in which quantum level multispatial potentiality operates.

Of course, I am just a cook. I learned most of my science reading magazines and watching the Discovery Channel. rolleyes.gif You want fries with that?

Archived