Home

New color crystal

Clone L68362

What I'm trying to do is make a new color crystal for a actual orange saber in KOTOR. I already made the color but right now I have it overwriting HotG. Also I'd like to script it being picked up somewhere, so I don't have to cheat for it.

Also I'm changing the colors of HotG and MotF. I already have HotG color doen but I dunno where to find the item picture so I can change that. For MotF I want to make it white but whatever I try it just looks like a solid block of white...

Ok, I finished HotG (now has a blue glow and purple core) and MotF (silvery). Looking at the icons though, I thought they were kinda bad for each. The MotF icon looks perfect for HotG, so I'm guessing I just find it and rename it to whatever HotG's icon is named. And I can change the HotG icon to silver and rename it to MotF's icon. Just need to know where I find the icon pictures.

I didn't lose anyone in that paragraph did I?

Then again...not much point, I mean, no one replied in 10 hours, and with how much time left for Photoshop I won't be able to use it by the time I get a reply probably. Help me pleeeeease....

Grr. If I'm right, I need to make a new lightsber in order to make a new color crystal. Am I right? Well, I've tried before and have constantly messed up on it. I'm fine up till the end, when Achilles says something about a txt file you should have, but I'm not sure where a txt file came from. I did what it said and it came out as a txi. I thought "Whatever" and tried it ingame and just got a null grenade thing.

Oh, BTW RedHawke...this isn't considered a bump is it?

To my knowledge, yes you would need to make, or at least duplicate a new lightsaber for your new crystal. I remember from reading that the lightsaber itself is changed each time a new color crystal is added, so in theory if you wanted to have your new crystal be equippable in any lightsaber you would need to create 3 new sabers (short, long, and double).

Also to my knowledge, you wouldn't have to create new models, just adjust the properties to allow the new crystal and it's visual properties.

I have never done this myself, so maybe someone who has some experience with adding new sabers in-game could help with this.

LiquidZoo:You need to have new models for each of the sabers. Easy way is copy one of the saber models already in the game (rename the model to what ever you want) and either using the replacer function in mdlops or a hex editor replace the name of te colour crystal with the name of your new colour crystal.

Clone:The txi file tells the game how to blend the colour tga file when applying it to the saber model. Again the easy way is to copy an existing one and rename it to your colour crystals name.

What have you made for your saber so far? ie what changes to 2da files, uti files, tga files etc. Would be easier to help if we know where you are stuck.

LiquidZoo:You need to have new models for each of the sabers. Easy way is copy one of the saber models already in the game (rename the model to what ever you want) and either using the replacer function in mdlops or a hex editor replace the name of te colour crystal with the name of your new colour crystal.

Right, and that's what I was suggesting (in my head, at least). The point I was trying to make was that you wouldn't have to actually create the model (unless you wanted to), you can copy the existing models and rename them.

Ok, I'll try an explain it as best I can. I started by changing the tags in the saber crystal and lightsaber uti files (44 in case you need to know). Then I did the Hex editing part, that went fine. Then I renamed everything 44 or 044, and the color files from 01 to 02. Not sure if that tells you what I did wrong, that's the best I could do.

Whoa, weird. I changed the properties of the crystal and it suddenly worked. Only problem is the icon for the saber is blue. And from past experience, the crystal will probably be blue. I don't have time to check now, I'll let ya know on my progress later.

On a sidenote, it's orange already. Bonus!

Its weird how that happens huh, my first saber wouldnt work no matter what I did. I changed which base model I used and suddenly it worked. Even though I only changed the model and nothing else ...

The icon should be easily enough to fix, and hopefully the ingame colour of the saber is orange.

Alright, it still works, but the whole color thing is complicated. First I don't wanna use the HotG image for the color crystal, is there a way I can change it? Also the orange color I made is overriding the color I made for HotG, so now my custom saber is orange and HotG is orange. How do I make my custom saber a separate color? And I need to make it upgradeable. I'll keep working on it, but any help will be really nice. Thanks for your help too Jackel.

Well, I got my saber upgradeable now, but the colors still aren't working. Right now I need:

New crystal icon and color for orange crystal

Make the orange saber a separate blade so it doesn't overwrite HotG

Recolor HotG and MotF crystal icons (but I can't use Photoshop anymore! :()

You can use Gimp for anything you would need Photoshop for. It works in much the same way, plus it's free.

In terms of your saber not overwriting the color for HotG, make sure you are saving the crystal as something other than g1_w_sbrcrstl20 (HoTG), and make sure your item templates are pointing to the correct crystal.

Crystal icons are going to be in ERFs > TexturePacks > swpc_tex_gui.erf > I if you want to extract one and work from there.

Yeah, I have g1_w_sbrcrstl44, and the color file says w_lsabregold02. I renamed it w_lsabreorange02 for giggles, and as I thought it showed up as a white block, I can't figure out why it's replacing my other HotG color.

As for the crystal icon, say I wanted to recolor Opila and use it as orange, how do I make it act as a color crystal...

Yeah, I have g1_w_sbrcrstl44, and the color file says w_lsabregold02. I renamed it w_lsabreorange02 for giggles, and as I thought it showed up as a white block, I can't figure out why it's replacing my other HotG color.

Did you go through the hex edit in your w_lghtsbr_0XX.mdl file and change the 4 (or 8, if it's a double) w_lsabregold01's to w_lsabregold02's? If not, that may explain it.

As for the crystal icon, say I wanted to recolor Opila and use it as orange, how do I make it act as a color crystal...

I don't have KT in front of me, but I believe it should be as simple as taking the tga for the Opila and saving it as iw_sbrcrstl_044.tga (since 44 is the number you've chosen for your custom saber). That should be the icon for your crystal in your inventory

Alright, I'll be able to handle all the icons and item colors, but I still can't figure out how to make the orange blade and HotG blade different. I did the Hex editing for the orange saber. Do I also have to Hex edit for HotG if I want them to be separate?

I really appreciate your help BTW.

I don't think so. Everything should work for that.

It might help if you listed the files you have modified and their new filenames. That could give a clue as to what might be going wrong. Did you start with the texture for HoTG? Is it possible that you changed the g1_w_lghtsbr01 file and saved it to your override as well?

Another possibility might be to change the filename back to g_w_lghtsbr44 (instead of g1) and make the appropriate changes to the other files. There might be a conflict there that I'm not aware of.

Screwy things can happen if when you hex edit the model file you change the length of the names in it. Your best bet is keep the orange saber texture name as the same length as the other one. ie w_lsabregold02.

Also heres another thing. Are you respawning the saber every time you test it or are you just using one that is already in a save game?

Respawn your saber when you start changing it around. The game saves the state of your inventory when you save your game and no matter what changes you make (except skins) stay as they are. If you modify the uti for instance to add 300000 damage for instance then load up a game with the item already in your inventory you wont get that extra damage until you get a new item of that type.

SO yeah respawn both and see if that helps at all with the colours being wrong.

GRRR. I got them to work for a minute, on an auto save (Starboard section of Endar Spire) and tried the beginning, they didn't work, I tried a new game and they didn't work. I renamed the crystal and saber items to not have the 1 in them...so it worked, kinda.

EDIT: Oh sweet my brother has Photoshop on his comp, I can send stuff to him and do it there. So my only problem I think is making orange color and HotG color work right.

Then I'll just script in a place where you pick up the orange crystal and I'll be done!

I had some trouble making a new saber as well, in that the colors got all switched up. I tried making an orange one, but every time I entered a new module, all my yellow sabers turned orange. Most curious.

In relation to your situation, are you sure you changed the model variation for your new saber? That's all I can think of.

Alright, I have all the icons done. But I still have to figure this out.

I had a save game right at the beginning of Endar Spire, and when I pull out the orange saber it's orange, when I pull out HotG it's orange. Then I had an autosave in the Starboard Section, and they were working. I delete those games and try a new one, and they're both orange again.

I also need to figure out where I'm gonna get this. And, how would I make it so when I put the orange crystal in a saber, it gets a damage bonus of say, +5 Fire?

Archived