Home

Bad government!

Guest Zoom Rabbit

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rogue 9

not from miles around Zoom, its Radiation before it reaches critical mass is concentrated in a small area biggrin.gif

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Plutonium is the most toxic substance known to mankind. Needless to say, shells made from it would be more deadly after the war!

Plutonium is an isotope of uranium--U-235, I believe. Unless I'm mistaken, depleted uranium is something with a much lower atomic number.

Of course, what I said just now is probably scientific gibberish. biggrin.gif At about this point, Gold Leader will be stepping in to tell us all that I'm right, but (as usual) have the details backwards.

Goldie?

wink.gif

Guest Rogue 9

I understood that just fine, but plutonium does not have an effect for miles around, yards yes but not miles.

Plutonium is an element, not an isotope of Uranium. Uranium's atomic number is 92, Plutonium's is 94. I'm not sure of their masses, but that varies depending on what isotope you are examining/eating. Uranium is also a natural elemet, while Plutonium is produced by some process with Uranium that I'm not exactly sure about.

biggrin.gif

Guest Rogue 9

Uranium is used in Reactors, Some Reactors produce Weapons grade plutonium, which can be recycled into useful nuclear weapons by the way smile.gif

Guest Rogue 9

now we can talk about Uranium uused in bullets, that is what a tracer round is bt the way, a depleted uranium shell, glowing cause it is radioactive biggrin.gif

Guest Zoom Rabbit

'Why, see here little Jimmy, plutonium is perfectly safe for us to use and handle. Ha-ha-ha. Yes. That's why I've made my own bullets for my six-gun out of pure plutonium. Traded it for hash oil on the black market. See, here's one. Isn't it pretty? Oh, my, I feel faint...' *Thud!*

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

Depleted uranium has an extremely good mass to weight ratio, meaning you can use less powder to propel the shell at a high velocity.

That's like the funniest thing I've heard in years! The weight of an object is equal to its mass times the gravitational acceleration g (+/- 9.80665 m/s2). In a fixed point on the surface of the earth the mass to weight ratio is constant and equal to 1/g.

Happy, Zoom? wink.gif

A chemist told me that a reason they decided to risk the radioactivity was that the plutonium shell disentigrates after it punches through the armor of a tank and turns into a powdery substance that fills the inside of the tank. This powder reacts with oxygen inside the tank AND generates a huge static electric burst. The powder, oxygen, and static makes for one hell (slight pun intended) of an explosion inside the tank.

Not really...a tank has a chance of survival against missiles. There's some type of anti-missile system they have mounted on them...Arena or something is what we call it. They also have flares and chaff and stuff to fool them. But there's no defense against a piece of metal flung at you.

Plus missile hits=explosion on outside of tank. DU shell hits=tank goes "jack-in-the-box" and turret goes into orbit.

Archived