Home

English lessons

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DragonT

Nope, you aren't Admiral. I've gotten an Ax or a Dagger (Sometimes it was a tomahawk, knife, parang, machete, Katana, Wazikatana or Tanto) every Birthday and Christmas I've had since I was about 14. I've got quite an expensive collection. My favorite happens to be the Buck Nighthawk. Has a good balance and feel to it.

- The guy who's professional title is "Master." Unfortunately I am called instructor or teacher more often. Not so cool.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I once fouled up in the discussion forum at Sword Forum Magazine by referring to the tsuka (handle) of my gendai katana as the tachi (court sword.) rolleyes.gif I was hounded relentlessly by those sharks for awhile after that...

'Hey, look--it's Round Eyes! Cook any burgers on the habaki lately? HAW! HAW! HAW--!' (Habaki = bolster on sword blade.) Really funny stuff...

(*THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS*)

Anyway. biggrin.gifDragon Tea, if you like swords, you'll fit right in here. as-one.gif

So, what's your favorite sword movie?

------------------

'What's up is clearly defined as the opposite of what is down, in this case being the strongest source of local gravity...failing that, in space, what's up is opposite the direction of accelerative G-force--or what I'm targeting with these laser cannon. Die, b*tch!'

--Official forum space terrorist

Guest DragonT

****surei shema****a

I realized when I typed it out that I was wrong but I couldn't remember the correct terminology and was too lazy to go look it up, especially since I didn't expect anyone to catch the foul-up. Never was too fond of the Japanese nominclature and terminology. I've found, in my years of instruction, that using the Japanese language actually slows the students progress. It is sometimes hard enough for them to learn a whole new way of moving their body, compound that by giving them strange words to describe the 'unnatural' movements and you have a person that doesn't progress as quickly as may be necessary. I do compromise a little bit in my position by counting in Japanese and allowing the students to call me 'Sensei' ('Cause counting Ichi, Ni, San, Chi... sounds so much cooler and militaristic than One, two, three, four... Sensei is used to place a professional distance between myself and my students without them having to feel uncomfortable calling me "Master Dragon Tea")

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to watch a great deal of Martial Art or Sword movies. If Braveheart and Gladiator can be considered such, I would have to give them my vote. The show "Highlander" was my favorite TV show, but the movies lacked the wonderful sword play demonstrated in the series. (Not to mention the plots utterly sucking) What would you recommend?

Guest DragonT

Yeesh, the forum bleeped out Sheetshurei Shimasheeta (Meaning "Sorry I was rude" In Japanese) I guess it thought I was being even more rude.

The 13th Warrior was pretty good. I enjoyed seeing Beowulf as a movie. The Old English poetry that I had read in High School was basically incomprehensible... even worse than the Canterbury tales. I realize that it was altered for Hollywood, which makes me wonder how much was changed, but it was still a good flick. Of course I am not a good judge of movies. I liked Mask of Zorro and Blind Fury (Both are somewhat sword movies)

Guest DragonT

Well sir, with those list of requirements I would have to tell you to stick with a large knife. Swords are a little on the impractical side. Too long so they are hard to conceal and tend to be a little slow in the manueverablity. The light ones rarely are able to take a lot of damage without breaking or losing their edge. If you wish to compromise between a knife and a sword, the wakizashi is your best bet. As a short sword, it was designed to be quick and durable and take sufficient damage in places where the Katana would be too weildy and get hung up on shrubs or walls. The gentle arc of these two's blade allow them to flow between cuts more graceful and fluid than a straight blade.

Also take a look at the Parangs. Coming from the Philippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia; these swords come in many different shapes and sizes mostly crafted to suit the needs of the individual user.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Yow! biggrin.gif My kind of thread!

I loved Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger. It was a first rate look at the eastern martial arts as occult science (except for the flying rolleyes.gif...) that is doing a lot to give us here in the west a look at the warrior tradition in post Bodhidarma China. Thumbs up.

I also really enjoyed Thirteenth Warrior, as a fairly authentic look at Viking culture and the warfare of that period. The languages, armor and weapons used were all very realistic--except for what they did to that broadsword! biggrin.gif You can't grind down a Viking broadsword like that--they were pattern-welded blades, and by doing that you would remove the steel edge and leave yourself the softer iron in the blade's core for a cutting surface! The Arab would have been better off with one of the battle axes the Norse were known to use at the time, as its short reach and cutting attack would match the scimitar he was more accustomed to.

Which brings me to Crackwhore's question. I think, sir, that the weapon you're thinking of is a Beretta seventeen round semi-automatic handgun. Utterly invincible in close quarters and most reliable by today's standards. smile.gif

What kind of blade is best for you? Well...my best advice is try a bunch of different bladeforms. What blade a swordsman will ultimately choose as 'his' is based on years of experience with different kinds of swords, all of which perform differently. Since each person is built differently, each person has different body mechanics, and not every sword will 'fit.'

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Myself, I prefer a gendai katana (handmade during WW2 in the traditional style) that has a light handle and particularly heavy blade. I'm a short fellow (5'5") and the Japanese sword fits my size better--if I were a foot taller, I'd be using the European 'hand-and-a-half' broadsword (Braveheart) since I've trained myself to use the point for thrust attack in addition to the usual edge attack someone my size is better suited to. I can use the point of my katana, but it's awkward one-handed.

Note: I have no martial arts experience. However, I have been practicing the sword for twenty years, and have a collection that includes seventeen swords. wink.gif

Cracky, I did have a shoro once that was a good indoor sword. It's essentially just a samurai sword with a full handle and a two-foot blade. The balance is extremely precise on such a weapon, which makes it a little more dangerous to use in practice...but once I got used to it, it was great for use in confined areas. Kind of like the 'half-bat'leth' that Worf uses in later episodes of Star Trek.

Dragon Tea, I loved the Highlander series, too! smile.gif It was a good look at expert swordsmen showing how different bladeforms performed against each other in combat...not like the movies, where actors showed us what they'd picked up from their coach in rehearsals. wink.gif

------------------

'What's up is clearly defined as the opposite of what is down, in this case being the strongest source of local gravity...failing that, in space, what's up is opposite the direction of accelerative G-force--or what I'm targeting with these laser cannon. Die, b*tch!'

--Official forum space terrorist

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit:

Kind of like the 'half-bat'leth' that Worf uses in later episodes of Star Trek.

It's called a mek'leth, IIRC. And it's designed for use by modern Klingon soldiers who have to fight in starship corridors where bat'leths are too big.

<small>Don't get pedantic about ST with me!</small>

I'd like to start collecting swords/knives (and armour for that matter), but I'm hampered by having no place to put them.

I'm searching for a new apartment (my current digs are apparently built over Ottawa's own Hellmouth ( eek.gif ), and my mother's house is already full of books and models that I refuse to throw away.

I also design alien hand weapons for my SF races. I'll post some pics here someday.

My favourites are the rajah blades that look like small contoured hatchets (they're light enough to be wielded one-handed, and balanced to make deadly throwing weapons too), and the cristawhip that's made up of "blades" of nanotech-augmented grass (the nanotech allows the blades to react to the user's gestures; the whips can function like a cat-o-nine-tails that can extend out to 2.5 metres long ["standby" length is less than one metre], the blades can also wrap around each other to make a "bullwhip," or even a short- or long-sword).

I still wish I had an amphistaff, though. frown.gif

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

Guest DragonT

I disagree with Zoom Rabbit to a certain extent. Guns... Leave them alone. They are always perfectly reliable, but the user is not. Mostly the gun owner buys the gun and then locks it away. When it comes time for them to use the gun they wind up getting killed.

The reason is two fold. One, a gun is a weapon that requires skill. Its not as simple as just pointing and pulling the trigger when your life is in danger. You have to practice, get the feel of the draw, the feel of the recoil, the sound of its bang. The second reason is the biggest one. Any intelligent person is reluctant to take another human beings life. ANY intelligent civilian using ANY lethal weapon will hesitate for a moment before pulling the trigger or slicing someone open. That millisecond is all that the criminal needs to kill you. For self defense it is best to stick with non-lethal means. Pepper spray, tazer, or even a baseball bat (Hold the ball bat by the fat end and strike with the butt, it allows the bat to move much faster and the 'rim' focuses the damage into a little area.) should be preferred self defense weapons. Noone will hesitate to use these, however they too should be practiced with. NEVER CARRY A WEAPON THAT YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED TO USED AND SPENT TIME LEARNING. If you don't know how to use it, chances are it will be used against you.

My preferred weapons are the walking cane/reinforced umbrella. This weapon is practical and is legal to carry with you anywhere you go. I also am skilled at small knives and the 1.5 foot staff (Escrima). I'm a fairly big guy and can generate a great deal of power, so my focus is making that power move quickly. Kenpo is all about speed and efficiency.

For fun, I am currently developing a martial art system using the Mek'leth and the Bat'leth.

leghlaHchu'be'chugh mIn lo'laHbe' taj jej.

Guest Rogue 9

A Civilian can train Hesitaion out of themselves easily, games like Rogue Spear make the Reaction seem normal to your brain and spending time at the range will actually make you effective.

Archived