Home

[MOD] EAW: Open Conflict

Adonnay

Wow... the Tartan Cruise seems to be way off scalewise (and I suppose the weapons don't fit either). But I can't really make it a frigate/cruiser for I am sure it's missing all the attachment bones for the hardpoints.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And before you say it, I know that the Old Republic had star destoyers thousands of years earlier during the Sith (aka KotOR) era.

No, I wasn't going to say that. :)

That the Tartan Cruiser is so large suprised me. Especially when you consider it only has 20 laser cannons. But then again, it justifies the Lancer Frigate later on very well. ;)

I don't mean to quarrel, but, what you mean 8 more than the corvette by the way?

The CR90 has 4 laser cannons, 1 mounted ontop of each escape-pod, and 4 turbolaser guns on 2 turrets (2 guns per turret). That's all I can see on it in the Cross Sections book. And that takes precedence over anything else but the movies. No game can override that.

The CR90 has 4 laser cannons, 1 mounted ontop of each escape-pod, and 4 turbolaser guns on 2 turrets (2 guns per turret). That's all I can see on it in the Cross Sections book. And that takes precedence over anything else but the movies. No game can override that.

To be precise: six Taim & Bak H9 dual Turbolasers and four laser cannons. In RPG terms the dual turbolasers are doing 5d10x5 damage per, while the regular lasers are doing 2d10x5 per. Actually, I miscomputed the relative combat values of the corvette versus the Tartan. The Tartan can target twice as many fighters, but both vessels have almost identical overall firepower (versus frigates and cruisers). So there's no need to change the combat value of either vessel. Sorry for the mistake.

Those numbers are incorrect, unless it's a heavily modified corvette.

The Corvette is listed with 4 laser cannons and 2 dual turbolasers.

RPG's always either grosly exagerate, or grosly underestimate a ships armament. Look at the Imperator for instance: 60 this, 60 that ... no mention at all of the 12 heavy Turbolaser guns (6 on either side of the superstructure) 4 Heavy Ion Cannons (2 on either side behind the row of the HTL's), 2 lateral quad laser cannons in the brims (1 on either side of the ship), and the three axial defence turrets, each mounted with 3 guns.

Then we have the Executor: Even if you believed that the ship is only 8 km long (over half the actual size) the weapons compliment is ridiculously low.

Small note though in the RPG stats' defence: Notice that the Imperator-Class Star Destroyer is listed with 60 Turbolaser batteries, which implies that it has atleast 120 guns.

Those numbers are incorrect, unless it's a heavily modified corvette.

The Corvette is listed with 4 laser cannons and 2 dual turbolasers.

RPG's always either grosly exagerate, or grosly underestimate a ships armament. Look at the Imperator for instance: 60 this, 60 that ... no mention at all of the 12 heavy Turbolaser guns (6 on either side of the superstructure) 4 Heavy Ion Cannons (2 on either side behind the row of the HTL's), 2 lateral quad laser cannons in the brims (1 on either side of the ship), and the three axial defence turrets, each mounted with 3 guns.

Source: Corellian Corvette: Information From Answers.com

Regarding the ISD, the SWRPG lists it as:

• 60 Turbolasers (12 batteries)
  • 40 point defense lasers (double the total firepower of the Tartan, FYI)
  • 60 heavy ion cannon (10 batteries)
  • 10 tractor beam projectors

Bear in mind that the stuff published in the SWRPG is (usually) vetted through LucasArts. LA itself doesn't always provide "correct" info. Sometimes LA changes stats after a book or game is published (as is the case with the RPG dated 2001). Please note the following concerning the Executor from Star Destroyer: Information From Answers.com:

"Early Star Wars literature and game statistics described the class as being 8,000 meters long -- the weaponry listed as average for that length if not surface area. A later correction changed that to 12,800m, strangely without changing any of the other specifications. The official Star Wars site cited it as 12,800m (as of May 29, 2005). It has since been changed to agree with the latest 19,000m specification."

Oh well I think I'll stop updating for a while. Seems no one's really interested in my work ;)

If you have questions about any of the things I made send me a PM and I'll gladly try to answer them.

Wow the triple post in a row. Worse then double posting!o_O

Awesome work! I enjow your mod greatly, even if I still get trounced on "Hard" galactic conquests:P

I don't know if it makes a difference for accuracy, but I like to change the burst# and recharge speed for all the turbolasers and lasers so in battle it looks more like in the movies. Eg: 3-4 second recharge 7 per burst to .42-.57 recharge 1 per burst. Just a personal preference, but I think it looks cooler:)

With your new laser graphics and anti-fighter turrets, the game is really much more graphically exciting. Thanks for the work and I hope you enjoy making it as much as I lke playing it!

Tal Odo-ki, can you give us the sizes of the pirate vessels?

In particular I'd like the specs. for the Action VI Transport ;)

Action VI is 125m long. EAW is using a modified version of the Action-series shape, but the EAW "pirate frigate" appears to be MUCH larger than any Action-series vessel, more along the size of an Imperial Star Galleon (300m, same size as the Nebulon). In the RPG, pirate vessels are almost always no larger than corvettes (at most). It is almost unheard of for a pirate (as opposed to a privateer, huge difference) to use a frigate-class vessel.

Awesome work! I enjow your mod greatly, even if I still get trounced on "Hard" galactic conquests:P

I don't know if it makes a difference for accuracy, but I like to change the burst# and recharge speed for all the turbolasers and lasers so in battle it looks more like in the movies. Eg: 3-4 second recharge 7 per burst to .42-.57 recharge 1 per burst. Just a personal preference, but I think it looks cooler:)

With your new laser graphics and anti-fighter turrets, the game is really much more graphically exciting. Thanks for the work and I hope you enjoy making it as much as I lke playing it!

I've done something like with with the rebellion large and medium lasers (MC80, NebB, Corellians). It's most noticeable with the corvettes, their fire is irregular and more "lifelike" than the imperial salvos of the Acclamator i.e.

For the Empire however I left the salvo fire... it is supposed to simulate the more military and ordered attitude of the empire, well aimed salvos instead of the "chaotic" I-shoot-when-Im-ready fire. I have yet to port this to the rebel turbolasers.

Alright, here we go... version .006

Changes (the ones I remember):

- Many scale changes thanks to the infos you guys provided. Thanks!

- In relation to scale changes also some shield/health/weapon and build cost/time tweaks. Capital ships now sure are tough!

- Captain Piett has been transferred to the Judicator, the flagship of the Acclamator fleet - it's powerful I can tell you

- Grand Moff Tarkin decided to take up the helm of the Accuser himself

- Changed the Marauder into an assault corvette with forward firing turbolasers instead of missiles - yet to be balanced (it's a little weak still for its price and tech level)

- A-Wings and Tie-Avengers have been fitted with light missiles as we all know it

- X-Wings have been upgraded with light proton torpedoes (how was luke supposed to destroy the DS without his torpedoes ;) )

- Made all rebel ships fire more sporadicaly while the Empire still prefers salvo fire

- Many things I forgot...

Version .006

Many of the changes were decided during a brainstorming with mandead. Thanks for your help and your interest ;)

Work in Progress:

- Adding YT-1300 to the pirate fleet

- reduced hyperspace speeds (50% for Transports, 25% for capital ships and all imperial vessels, 12% for rebel fighters, corvettes and frigates to allow small fleets to outrun the Empire).

- Changed the Marauder into an assault corvette with forward firing turbolasers instead of missiles - yet to be balanced (it's a little weak still for its price and tech level)

This change has two rather dramatic and drastic effects: (1) it removes the balance between the Rebels and the Empire by eliminating their equivalent to the Broadside, and (2) it makes it VERY much harder for the Rebels to destroy space stations and ISDs. I don't know if you intended this, but you just shifted the game very much in favor of the Empire in terms of balance.

@somerled: Shouldn't be too much of a problem to add it as long as the model and icons are in ;) (well the icons are no must but would be nice)

@Tal: I just played as Empire (+ hard AI ally) against 2x hard AI Rebellion and they were pretty strong, even without those missile Marauders. The main ship to counter ISDs and space station is still the Mon Cal cruiser. And since I reduced the damage of those diamond boron missiles anyway you shouldn't miss them too much.

Btw... I read somewhere that - according to the lore - the Marauder never carried any missles anyway.

Realistically, the Rebels should never have won against the might of the Empire. However, it doesn't make for a fun story if the "good guys" get slaughtered.

Realistically, lasers move at the speed of light. Not nearly as cool as the bolts we all have grown to love.

Realistically, the Rebels never had the economic infrastructure to create a fleet capable of defeating an Imperial fleet, which is something you must be able to do in the game. So there must obviously be a limit to the "realism" that can be allowed.

Well, that's enough of my ranting over the insult of having my beloved missile corvettes nerfed out of existence.

Realistically, the Rebels used swarms of starfighters to missile capital ships to death. However, in the game you cannot do this because of the unit cap. It's more effective, combat power-wise, to have one corvette in your fleet than two fighter squadrons. My proposal is that the entire unit size/cap system be overhauled so that a corvette is perhaps a value of 4-6, frigates 6-10, cruisers 8-12, and ISDs are some rather large value. Then raise the unit cap accordingly. The idea is so that you can use many more fighters before you hit your unit cap, while at the same time limiting the number of ISDs a fleet might be able to have (to about no more than 3 or 4).

Well in skirmish you'll notice that the swarms of fighters are indeed possible since the fighters do not raise the pop cap.

As for the cap... which cap are you speaking of? Space battles in general? Skirmish or galactic cap?

Concerning the missile corvett I can offer you a compromise... I can put in both versions (the laser one isn't really working out as I hoped it to anyway).

As Adonnay said, the pop cap isn't a problem. It's been raised (and can be raised further very easily).

And the Marauder should not carry missiles. It's a laser corvette. That's all there is to it.

EDIT: That new ship looks ace :) What are your stats for it?

I don't play skirmish. Only Campaign and GC. So the cap I'm referring to is for those. I'd like to be able to field fighters without crippling my ability to handle the tough targets (like stations and ISDs). In an unmodded game, it's much more effective (efficient) to build a space combat fleet with a half-dozen or so corvettes (for their awesome anti-fighter ability) and the rest of the fleet is frigates and cruisers, with no fighters at all. Unrealistic, of course. Hence my suggestion that the whole cap thing be revised. Note I say "revised". Simply raising the cap (which I did) just allows more big ships. The balance needs to be altered by making the fighters not take as much cap space as they do relative to other ships. OTOH, if you make the fighters take zero cap, that will lead to massive abuse. Thus I feel the cap system needs to be reworked.

Regarding the Marauder, yes the canon Marauder does indeed have no missiles. But I'd appreciate it if the Marauder, in the Campaign/GC, was left as is. If you want a Marauder that's canon, make the turbolaser one the new one. That way people's savegames won't be suddenly (rudely) affected by having their missile boats get nerfed. As a side note, having a non-missile Marauder is pointless (IMO) because that's what the Corellian Gunship is supposed to be for.

Thanks for listening.

Archived