Home

Skinning - how to get started?

Arc9

Since there weren't any special skinning tools released for Republic Commando (just a map editor).. that is, no official ones.... I would imagine you'd have to do it the same way as any in Unreal Tournament based game. So I'd do a lookup on those kinds of tools (planetunreal.com perhaps? maybe some people can suggest some better editing sites) and go from there. I haven't skinned for this game, but I'm sure it's possible, as you're just replacing textures.

• 1 year later...

This seemed to be the best place to put my skin related babblings. I believe the route to replacing textures was mentioned on another thread, but I'll post my version b/c I'm bored ;)

The file path:

Go into C drive >> Program Files >> LucasArts >> Republic Commando >> System

Open UnrealEd

A window with several tabs should pop up (if it doesn't there are some buttons at the top of the window -- click on the one that looks like a pretty picture and it'll take you where you want to go).

Click on the textures tab. There are two drop down menus. Click the top one.

Select "clone textures." Click the bottom drop down. Select "clone textures" from that menu as well. This will bring up your commandos (Boss and some other unseen commandos are in there).

Next step:

Backup the original files. Right click on a skin (for example, "texture clonecommando62") and select "export to file..." from the pop-up menu. Choose a destination and add .bmp to the file name (otherwise it won't show up).

How to skin:

Included in the texture package is a plain white commando skin. Export the skin (same as above), open up your favorite image editor (Adobe, GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, etc. -- I use Paint Shop Pro), and go to town.

Here's a handy dandy reference I made for telling which part was which: commando parts

Also use the original skins for reference... that's what I did :)

Importing the skin:

Click File >> Import

A window will open. Make sure the "package" and "group" both read "clone textures." In "name" type in the name of the texture you want to replace (if you want to replace Sev's skin type in CloneCommando07). "Compress as:" DXT5. Click OK, repeat as necessary, then save and play the game.

Some of my hard work :elephant:

The double crest on the tops of the helmets was someone else's waaay cool idea (I forgot who, but I loved it so I used it for my guys), but the rest is me going "that's too light/dark... too much/little... OMG I have to be up in two hours... I hate that color..." you get the idea :)

Basically, I went with Ninja Turtle colors b/c I didn't like anything else...

my squad

my squad lead skin on Fixer's model

Scorch's model

Fixer's model

Sev's model

And just for fun

I'm going to shut up now :)

MachineCult -- I've figured out how to change the skins on the other commandos. I have not figured out how to change the HUD arms texture (38's arms in the HUD); though, I do think that if you turn on 3rd person you can see the skin (never tried it).

The only "player character" I can change is in multiplayer (if you change the skins for the other commandos, they will be available in MP -- HUD arms are plain white).

Thats just what i'm looking for, so if I go into 3rd person then the player model actually looks like 38 and not the cr*ppy blurry white skin.

Also do you know if it would be possible for the HUD to show when in 3rd person?

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

just a question, can i play online with the costume skins?

and another question... when i play online, sometimes i see people with a low resolution clone trooper, is this someone with a costunme skin or does he do a little skinhack or something like that :indif:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I know this is an old skin... But, I'm having trouble opening Unrealed... I'm running Vista, and figured that was the main problem. Am I right?

Probably not. Unreal Editor works just fine and I'm running Vista. I guess I might add that I have everything on High or Highest except for bumpmapping, which is at Low.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived