Home

I demand assistance again.

Nute Gunray

Guest Rune Haako

It's called Win2k. Spend some money.

LET CAPITALISM PROLIFERATE!

------------------

Happiness is an automatic weapon with a belt feed.

I have 2k and it sosen't do that!

------------------

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

it's called WinME, Nute. I don't think that win98 has that ability, even if you use TweakUI or other utilities.

Just load WinME. Your games will still work. I haven't had a problem with it.

$50's reasonable enough for me. It's cheaper than some of the stuff on the list of things i want to buy.

for those that care, my shopping list:

1) Gundam models from Japan: $40+shipping

2) 256 megs of RAM: $55+shipping

3) Sign from Sovietski.com that says YOU ARE NOW LEAVING THE AMERICAN SECTOR: $15+Shipping

4) Win2k or something: $50

IMHO: Don't bother with WinME or 2000 at this point,... WinXP will be out soon. Combines the best of ME and 2K.

The graphical interface looks kinda goofy though, but Ive been assured by a Beta-tester that you can customize to look and work just like 98 if you want.

[This message has been edited by edlib (edited June 29, 2001).]

Guest Forceflow

Well, I have 2k right now, and I must say overall I am VERY pleased!

Okay, it does have it's probs with DOS based games. But this is not a problem for me, since I don't really use those games. But in case you really do, do a double system install. Works quite well for a friend of mine.

W2k just runs too wel on my system that I will move back to 98 again. I had almsot ZERO crashes for the last few months since I have 2k, something I cannot say about my 98 system...

------------------

Murphy was an optimist!

Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Guest Jabba The Hunt

Ive got ME and ive had no software problems at all.

------------------

Official Forum Newbian

"Its Going down his leg i think we are going to have to amputate.

"No, dont take the leg, dont let them take the leg, they cant take the leg!!!"

"Its heading for his testicles"

"Take it, take the leg!!!"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

"Spyware"? I haven't heard that one yet. Where did you get this info?

Unfortunately, after it's out a while we can expect no support for the older OSes, so eventually you will have to switch to Linux or something.

And I also said it looks stupid, but I was told it has an emulator setting to look and act like the old W9X OS. I don't know because I've never used it, but someone who is beta-testing told me that on another forum.

I'm not planning to upgrade either. My computer is running just fine with ME.

------------------

As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and

meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

Guest Conor

I don't mind the look of XP (a friendly friend gave me a copy of the beta 2 biggrin.gif).

I have also had very few problems with it.

Anyone know why on Win98 my cable modem rarely went over 40Kps and with XP it routinely gets 100-200Kps?

Guest Rogue 9

becuase Windows 98's Imitation of TCP/IP Networking support is Crap, My Mac OS Systems Run Twice as fast on the same connection. tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Rogue 9 (edited June 29, 2001).]

That's the main reason I upgraded to ME. Same system, same cable-modem connection, at the very least 3-times faster, often more.

I just read an article about XP, and why it's regarded as spyware by some, but I'm not totally convinced. The whole "Install protection" scheme seems like an inconvienence, but I understand why they are doing it, and if you are a good, upstanding, law-abiding citizen it may never affect you. This is the way things are going to go in the future, more and more companies will come out with similar ideas to protect against illegal installs. I'm not defending it, mind you, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Guest Rogue 9

Installer Protection Sux! you have any Idea how difficult that type of thing makes working in a corprate setting. rolleyes.gif and it doesn't actually stop you from pirating if you know what your doin...

------------------

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Guest Dj Skywalka

YEAH!

------------------

Dj Skweejie

-WORDS OF WISDOM-

Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Guest Hans The Great

I'm still using Windows 98SE, I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon even though I have a copy of Windows 2000. I see no real benefit that offsets the trouble of installing W2K. Now XP is coming out? Just like every other Microsoft OS, wait a year then buy it if you must.

Archived