Home

REVIEW: Final Fantasy and A.I (LONG)

Well, here we go, first A.I...

(HOW I RATE MOVIES)

Plot, obvious.

music score:how well placed, timed, and how the music sets the mood for the movies' scene's.

Visuals:This catagory includes everything from set and prop design to special Visual Effects.

Acting: How well the actors did potraying thier characters.

Misc: Anything that i missed...

-------------------------------------

A.I: Artificial Intelligence

Directed by steven Spielburg

Concept by Stanly Kubrick

Starring Haily Joe Osmond (SP, I know....)

Plot: Think a futuristic Pinoccio, and add in some really, really wierd themes, and you get the idea. Basically, the planet has been flooded by the melting of the ice caps. food is scarece, and human reproduction is limited to those who get a licence. Androids, or "mecha" fill in for alot of human activities. factory workers, secretary's, and prostitutes, ect... Well, then this great idea comes along. what about mecha children? The board of directors of one of the major Meccha companies decideds to create the first mecha to actually become emotionally attacted to a human. To love, essentially. "David" is then created and sent to be tested with this family who's child is cyrogenically frozen with a terminal illness...... the rest.... is alot of spoilers, and i don't wanna ruin the movie. The plot is inovative, and at times, plain wierd, but easy to follow. a moral movie.

Plot: 9

Music: it's been awhile since i saw it, but i do remember the music being flowing during the slow parts, and hard, forceful during the really, really "wierd" parts, like during the "Flesh Fair". overall, it's done well.

Music: 8

Visuals: Sets are done with vividly, creating a future where we are now living under constraints, but arae still trying to maintain our civility. The props, cars, helo's, and New York City, paint great images.

Visuals: 9

Acting: That kid, i don't know where the hell he came from, but he played his part wonderfully. the actors did a wonderful job, and i think played out Stanly Kubrick's vision like he would have wanted to, i think.

Acting:9

Overall:9 (NOT AN AVERAGE)

One of the best, if not the best movie i've seen in years. Pulls at the ol' heart strings, and is wonderfully acted and played out.

Final Fantasy

The Spirits Within

Directed by Hirinobo Sakaguchi (Sp, again, i know...)

Produced by Square Pictures (Division of Squaresoft, Inc.)

Featuring the voices of Alec Baldwin, Ving Rhemes.

Plot: About 35 years a go, a meteor crashed into the Cespian Mountain range. The meteor carried "lifeforms", which we call "Phantoms" ranging from human size, to creatures of gigantic proportion. These "Phantoms" can move through walls, and steal the "Spirits" or life energy of all living things. they have destroyed all of civilization, except the "Barriar Cities", cities surrounded by a barriar of energy which the Phantoms cannot enter. In the present, the search for 8 "Spirits" is going on, which could hold the key for eleminating these Phantoms at thier source, the meteor which still is embeded in the Cespian Mountains. however, there are a few who would rather use the "Zeus Cannon", a high orbital cannon theoretically being able to destroy the Phantoms source, also. Yet, using this weapon could drive the Phantoms to the Earth's "Spirit", and destroy the planet...........

Plot: 9

Music: Though not done by the famous Nobuo Uematsu, the guy who did the Final fantasy GAMES, but they called in the guy who did Alien 3. Neverthe less, he did a superb job. the music flow with the action and speach and moods on the screen. Props to him, and the London Symphony Orchestra.

Music: 9.5

Visuals: This is the first computer generated animated feature to actually fool me that there were ACTUALL ACTORS ON THE SCREEN, even though i knew they were computer generated. The sets, landscapes, flar and explosion effects, partical effects, transpariencies, blur, heat, it's all done, in NEAR PHOTOREALISTIC FASHION. Square pulled out all the stops.

Visuals: 9.9

Acting/Animation: All the actors did a very nice job, voicing the movie. though i usually look at real people, the animators did a fine job of realistically animating human patterns of behavior, and it's really,really,really,really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really good.

just a few area's it didn't look human like, hence the 8 score.

Acting/Animation: 8

Overall: 9.7 (NOT AN AVERAGE)

One of the most beautiful fully computer generated movies i've EVER, EVER SEEN. though some stuff you won't get right untill the end, it's a beautiful piece of film. Congradulations to Hirinobo Sakaguchi, ans Squaresoft for a great first start in films.

now, where's my Xenogears movie? biggrin.gif

Notes:

A.I is NOT, i repeat NOT for children under the age of 14. child abandonment, racial issues, and other iffy topics are not for the under 14 age group. if you do take your little under 14 year old to see it, disscuss these issues.

Final Fantasy is pretty intense. the action scene's are fast, and loud. the monster designs might frighten the younger group, though i would bring my 9 or 10 year old. The plot is a bit mature, but it's great fun. and all the pretty explosions........ biggrin.gif

And to get the whole "Gaia" and "returning to Gaia" theopry in Final Fantasy, you might wanna play Final Fantasy 7. it explains it in there i thin in the Cosmo Canyon observitory the first time you visit there.

Guest Jabba The Hunt

i didnt read them.

------------------

"Its Going down his leg i think we are going to have to amputate.

"No, dont take the leg, dont let them take the leg, they cant take the leg!!!"

"Its heading for his testicles"

"Take it, take the leg!!!"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

Guest Rogue 9

I read them right after you posted them,but I won't be seeing A.I. as it looks dumb and I'm see FFTSW on Saturday no matter what reviews it gets so I didn't respond. biggrin.gif

well Crackerjack, i just saw Final Fantasy last night and i thought it was wonderful!! on the whole the animation was done very well, as was the story. one qualm i had though was about the way their mouths moved, but i believe, from an artistic standpoint, that the mouth has to be the hardest to animate on a person. when you think about it, the mouth has a more subtle and wide range of motion than any other part of the body, and one we really pay attention to. also, a bit of caution about the film: if you have any issues about eastern philosophies or religions being presented as fact, i don't think this movie is for you. i found it quite interesting, but i could see how some people may be offended by it. but on the whole, it was a great movie smile.gif

------------------

If you live to be a hundred, i hope i live to be a hundred minus one so i never have to live without you!

SkirtPower@hotmail.com

Official Forum Chick

Guest Hans The Great

What was really amazing about Final Fantasy was the visual of the bird in the middle and at the end. Truly outstanding CGI effects. And it was Jar-Jar free!

Just got back, and it rocked. Very surreal, but they could have explained some things better, like *spoilers* how Grey was able to get into Aki's dream, why the Zeus Cannon made the Mamma Phantom bigger, why the barrier around NY failed, what the 8th Spirit was, and for that matter, just what the heck a sprit is.

------------------

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

Guest Forceflow

I just saw Final Fantasy. I really liked it, though since I only saw a cam of it (movie is not yet out over here) so I cannot really comment on the quality of the image. (It was a poor cam, but I am really looking forward to see it on the big screen)

But from what I was able to see so far it was a really good movie. Good stroy, great animation, and really good voice acting. A definitive winner!

------------------

Murphy was an optimist!

Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

I'll be brief since I'm on a clock here.

I've seen them both (FF just this weekend, and A.I. a while back). I liked them, though I can see how some people didn't.

A.I. is not a Spielberg movie (as the billing indicates); it's a Kubrick movie. That's really all the explanation you get.

As for FF, it was in-flamin'-credible!

Did anyone else think the Zeus Cannon looked remarkably like Wing Zero in the last episode of GW (when it was shooting Libra)? confused.gif

------------------

It's like I always say: When the going gets tough, the tough . . . switch to artillery.

Guest Rogue 9

Originally posted by Taarkin:

Just got back, and it rocked. Very surreal, but they could have explained some things better, like *spoilers* how Grey was able to get into Aki's dream, why the Zeus Cannon made the Mamma Phantom bigger, why the barrier around NY failed, what the 8th Spirit was, and for that matter, just what the heck a sprit is.

err they did explain all of that...perhaps you should pay more attention to the movie and less to Aki's Form fitting clothes

Archived