A proposal for a Senate

Paragon_Leon

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darth_Rommel

You are insane :D

Your three word sentences are coming back rommel. :D

Back on topic; do you think we are going to have "Clans" here (maybe call them Regions or Worlds), that maybe the Senate can handle? And maybe the "Regions or Worlds" can be have a different title name (that title would have a World name), Like the "World of Tatooine". And the Senator can represent there World. What do you think?

Well *I* like the idea that the positions (ie Senator of Naboo) , would be filled by having the MODS put the people that we have selected into them, so if there is an argument on who wants what world we can blame the mods :D

Guest Tie Guy

Right, now can we get back on topic?

We've had 1 good suggestion so far, and that was that the senate could set up matches and things.

Any others? and please stay on topic here, if not everywhere.

I think Kvan has the right Idea there about thoose clans exept for the Mods. We should set up like 10 or 15 clans. Each should have 10 people running on each so we have certain candidates for each region. And we will urge people not to vote for the same candidate in different areas.:cool:

Guest Tie Guy

I think that there will only be 5 or 10 senate chairs at the moment, and i don't think that there are more than 10 or 15 people that are regulars who could possibly hold a seat. We couldn't possibly have 150 people running, we don't even have that many! We only need like 10 or 15 running, and i just said why.

Yeah I agree that there should only be 10 or senators/clans (I'd prefer to call them Worlds :) ). We don't want to make it too big yet. For the same reasons that Tie said (We agreed on something :D )

Guest TS_Y0DA

I just finished reading this whole thread and it sounds like a good idea.

I am already part of an AOE:TC clan called TS

TS = The Siths

We have about 40 members so maybe we could get a representative in the senate to put our clans view points forward.

http://www.thetsclan.cjb.net :)

Guest Tie Guy

I don't think we are going to make this inot a clan. It is just a way to get things done on the message board and to organize matches and other chats and threads....maybe. (We're not completely sure yet :D)

I can just see our clan though, PP= Powerfull Politicians :D

The thing is. In our clans who are our folowers. Will they get in it. Unfortunatly I now think that we must have 5-8 senate seats because our following wouldn't be to greatly big at the start.:cool:

TIE Guy--powerful politicians

Me---Sith Lords

:vadar::emperor: vader and the emporor back me:D

Guest Sherack Nhar

Kvan, AFAIK means As Far As I Know.

I'm not sure if I like this World idea... what purpose would it serves?

OK I read though this whole topic and i am totaly lost....

What will this senate really do.

I like the idea of the senate fourm being read only to the normal people.

Who will be voting on the senators... The mod's, the people, or will the people put up nomanations and then the mod's would cast the vote.

I have more ideas in my head, but before i put them down i think you have to figure out just what this senate is going to do. That is the most important thing before you form this senate.

hmmm it will solve debates. and basically be the info authority. You basically become what Leon is...a mod. I think they are saying the people vote on it so far. The Senate does all sorts of other stuff...what we're not interily sure yet...LEON!!!! Where are you when he people need you?:D

Oh yes and welcome Wraith 5 to the wanderous world of GB forums.

Sherack Nhar the purpose of worlds is...is...ask Kvan:D

I'm eating and getting on with my life, that's where i'm going from time to time... :D

My initial idea for a Senate (but it has changed over time in this thread) is, in a nutshell:

having a select group of Senators (nominated and voted upon by forum-members), with a Chancellor at the head (probably (?) a mod to ensure he can actually have practical 'steering powers').

This group meets in a separate forum once every week / every other week / every month / whatever-as-long-as-it's-regularly to discuss the following:

- discuss matches played between forum members

- write out tournaments

- discuss cheating-issues (a spin on 'taxation of trade routes, eh ? :D )

- discuss happenings in the other forums where certain members were involved.

Basically it's a gathering to put some official gaming-weight to these forums, keep people involved in it and even discuss things like cheating or certain below-the-belt-strategies in public without the endless word-arguments.

Plus, it's going to liven things up a lot in my mind. :D

A Senate-meeting would have a set agenda, voted upon beforehand, and Senators would only be allowed a certain number of posts per meeting to ensure that it actually makes sense.

I'm right now writing a complete fleshed out proposal with all the feedback from this thread in mind and will post that in the weekend. By that time i might know more about a separate forum / other possibilities.

Guest Tie Guy

Hmm, i posted this in another forum but i will put it here coz it has to do with this.

If you look at all the polls we only have about 15 or les votes each. Is that really enough to elect 5 or so different people. Also, 6 or so of those votes come from people that would be nominated, so thats' even less than 15. more like 9 or 10 unless you wan to let the condidates vote. U propse that wee have the people nominate the candidates and then the mods select them. This is their forum, and we're lucky that they are letting us do this (even though i don't see anything that would be objectionable). Don't you think that they should at least have some say in this?

i'd imagine mods have a veto-kind of vote in things like that.

in no way is the Senate designed to interfere with moderating the board. it's not like some internal coup d'etat.. o wait, that did happen in the movies... :D

I've stated time and time again that i wanted to wait until we had hit the 200 member-mark to even get a full proposal on the table, but some were too impatient.. :p

My guess is that we'd start out with 5 Senators. And maybe there's an option that can get a private message out to every single forum-member, pointing them to a vote. I'll have to talk to chris about that.

Almost anything is possible, folks.. i have a dream...

Guest Sherack Nhar
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon

I'm right now writing a complete fleshed out proposal with all the feedback from this thread in mind and will post that in the weekend. By that time i might know more about a separate forum / other possibilities.

Yup, get working on that document, Leon, because I've got good news. I've talked to Chris about this senate thing, and so far he says it sounds good. The separate forum will be possible (with the senator-only posting / everyone can view it). He's waiting on a official proposal from your part before we really get things moving. I told him that you wouldn't send it to him before we reach the 200-members mark, so no worries there.

Kvan,

i think clans would make a better thing to be represented. Clans are existing groups, already active in gaming and it might even help create some new ones exclusive to these boards or even beyond..

The problem with being 'world'-senators is the same as with Avatars.. once one is taken, someone else is upset. it shouldn't be 'first come, first served..'

Maybe in time will we give some official extensions to Senator-titles that incorporate idea's. Right now Senators for clans seems like a great idea. Look for it in the whole proposal..

thanks for the input !

Archived