Home

Info on making a proper PK3 file for map dist?

gweedodung

Where can I find info on making a proper PK3 file?

Some people say you just pack the files and folders the way they are on my computer but Im not sure if thats right.

I have never been able to get any one's PK3 to work on my computer. And I have followed the directions word for word on the read me.

I have the 1.04 patch so its not that.

To use custom pk3: place them in "gamedata\base" folder of your game.

If you need to make your own Pk3's you should know the game uses a default dir structure for every asset in the game. Open the assets files in gamedata\base\ for a better idea.

Usually starts with the category and then a sub-dir for level, character, weapon, etc.

models\

textures\

So when comes time for packing everything, you need to follow these guidelines.

• 10 months later...

They all have different structures, because the load different. My problem was because I was trying to make a mod that loads in the mods menu, I had to create a folder of the same name of the pk3 in the Gamedata folder.

My map pk3 is "r5" so

Gamedata\r5\r5.pk3

This extra folder and placing it in Gamedata is vital. Not one tutorial that I read mentions this.

So when you zip your map for distribution. (if your doing it this way loading in mod folder) Have this "extra" folder in your zip file so it opens on their computer just like yours in the GAMEDATA folder not BASE.

Base can cause problems with other mods.

Could have saved me 12 hours if I knew this "rare fact" sigh.

Oh well I hope this helps someone else....

Archived