Home

Is there to much incomplete modding?

Naphtali

Im not making this thread in any way to cheapshot up and coming modders, but I have to say its irritating playing what are seemingly incomplete mods.

Ex. Sith padawan, great idea however they didn't seem in place once used, lightsaber wileders should cut through rebel troops with relative ease, not getting gunned down easily.

There's also been plenty of mods that have tried to change the scale of the game thinking troopers smaller makes the map bigger, make ships smaller and bigger, etc , HOWEVER something seems to be lost in all this when the game designers made the game, they had balance and fun factor in mind without making the game tedious and slow. I end up using a scale mod fighting pirate ships in space and have to quit after half a hour, becasuse i cant destroy 2 pirate frigates because the scale made the pirate ships to small and theres no adjustment to laser fire accuracy.

Let me preference this statement with (Im not a modder, and i admire what you guys can do), however it seems that details of game balance are left out,

like total war mod,(troops were almost useless) it would be nice if the proton beam was added to more ISD and had shorter recharge time though.

Im certainly no expert

I love your guys work and effort when it comes to modding

You can adjust the accuracy by simple editing the xmls. If you do not like something, than go and make it the way you like it. I have just put together my own mod using parts of 3 different MODs. I do not intend to distribute it, but the game now is much more I wanted it to be.

You can adjust the accuracy by simple editing the xmls. If you do not like something, than go and make it the way you like it. I have just put together my own mod using parts of 3 different MODs. I do not intend to distribute it, but the game now is much more I wanted it to be.

The point for a non-modding expert player is to get a complete mod into his hands and not to mod it further after its release, and this is the point Naph makes here. Don't want to advertise, but TR tries to do exactly this since we (the modders) are players too, by trying to appeal the majority of community while assuring that noone will touch the xmls after the release.

Providing a mod is like gastronomy. The customer wants the food to be as he wants it to be, without having to add any salt or pepper. Sure, those two ingeredients are around the table, but since ive been in gastronomy-menu hotels, believe me, the salt/pepper boxes were refilled after 6 or more months :D.

Understanding what the other (and not you) wants is the key to success.

You are right Athanasios. But no matter how good mod you make, there will always be somebody who wants something made different. The same is with the game. EaW is almost excellent, I know many people who do not want to MOD it, but there are many people who want.

To Naphtali:

I agree that half-baked mods are a pain to play with. It seems that few mods are completed. Even fewer has continued to grow and keep up with the patching.

Actually i have only played 1 or 2 of the better mods.

If you dont want to do editing by yourself, only download the reputable ones. But i strongly suggest anyone who has the time learn at least the XML codes in this game. I knew nothing about modding before this game (apart from downloading and playing them)but managed to learn to mod with XML within nno time .XML modding is simple and powerful enough to do many modification. The only downside in my opinion, is that some modifications requires repetitive and tiring work. eg. rescaling all the things

It's a lot of fun modding the game to your own liking and the incomplete mods are helpful for saving some time so i dont oppose to the release of such mods. They also helped me learn the codes. I feel so much better equiped with the ability to do some changes to the game. Learning the XMLs helps a lot.

Archived