Home

Kreia's teaching vs buddhism

pegasus71

Do you think, to those who know the strong parrallels between the jedi code and buddhism, that kreia's teachings are one of the very rare critism one can make towards the deeply popularly admired buddhist thoughs of controling negative emotion as anger and passion. The belief, which I tend to agree with, that confronting your fears your anger and passion is what make you stronger, that conflict makes us grow is it really opposite to buddhism??

shock1 :drop2: NOOOO come on I'm not a darksider!! Really i don't think confronting and giving in are the same thing really! You can be angry it's not a darkside thing, it's copping you know...Please anyone looking deperatly for support here lol

I'll have to go with anger=dark side. anger is an aggressive emotion, aggression is the dark side. Drawing on the parallels with ALL religions, peace, forgiveness, and acceptance are light side. That said, I freely admit that if any of this stuff were real, I'd be a Sith. Fear is a gray area, because the Jedi should feel no fear either. They should be content to "return to the force" while helping others. Acceptance is coping with a situation, dwelling on what you don't like is just simmering in your anger.

Personally i donno about buddhism, as they strike me as being like the Jedi Council in Kotor 2 TSL and the mandalorian wars - thinking that taking no action is the proper choice as they need to determine what to do.... How many millions of people do you have to kill before it works.

Its like people close to Gandi suggested that before WW2 he offered the world a way out via peaceful protest... peaceful protest only works if your enemy has a concience/or cares what others think. If you used peaceful protests against Hitler he would just massacre you. There are some battles that must be fought, and i think though conflict must be avoided, it does at a point become an inevitablity, and it is a strength to recognize the point at which you must defend what you believe in. Conflict does strengthen you, it makes you think about the world in different way. To me no fighting for certain things shows weakness and a failure to recognize that some enemies cannot be reasoned with.

(I know Gandi was Hindu but i quote 'I am hindu, i am muslim, i am christian and i am budhist) - it was jus an example :-p of what non violent action can/cannot achieve.

Hope that makes sense,)asically i do believe Kreia has a point, as you shouldnt go around appeasing evil (eg Hitler) as if you keep appeasing people like him, by the time you decide to make a stand its too late! so you must make a stand early, and that will make you stronger.

I don't think you can say that anger is bad as such, though it certainly the usual result. But anger can be positive as well. Imagine the situation where you see injustice that angers you, and because of that you're inspired to change things and correct the injustice, albeit in a manner that is non-violent and legal. Then anger isn't a bad thing, is it? Sometimes we need our anger to get things done, I think...

It's when anger leads to passionate and illogical acts or powerful emotions like hatred that there's trouble. And feelings are not good or evil by definition - it's how we act on them that determines their value.

I live my life by Kreia's Teachings... Because she could just be a sith'ari like Revan or Anikan.... If you don't know what a Sith'ari is then your just not as big a Kotor fan as you thought you were...

P.S now before you post and say you do know what a sith'ari is. Let me just tell you that I don't care if you post it because I won't believe you because the only person that knows the truth is you... meaning if you looked it up then you know that you didn't know and that your not that great a fan but if you already knew good for you just telling you your not as great as you think you are....

Oh yeah and Kotor is a hell of a lot better than the star wars movies and for those of you who think kotor II isn't as good as the first one let me be the first to tell you that you didn't play it right... If you look deep inside Kotor II you'll see it I can't tell you you have to find it for your self but if you do then good for you because I know... do you?

From the point of view of a Jedi, anger doesn't drive ANY of your actions. A sense of justice is the best term I can think of for what causes them to fight. That's the idea behind KOTORII, the exile went to war to protect others, not out of anger, and he didn't agree with the councils decision not to face the problem. So, the way I saw the story, facing problems-good, running from them-bad. But check out Qui-Gon in Ep. 1, completely peaceful and centered while fighting Darth Maul, no anger, yet he fights because he should, AFTER the council told him not to. I use anger as a motivator in my personal life all the time, but usually the feeling is "I'll show you" and I do things not because I should, but to spite someone else. I'v experienced a lot of anger, and from my own life, I know things are better when anger isn't a motivating factor. I am however, human.

Well I read a couple of books about buddhism and the thing is that they kind of beat kreia to her critics they say what she says, they say suffering opens your eyes but at the same time you want to relieve others from suffering... It's something of the sort either i didn't get it or it's a contradiction... They believe in compassion without the condescendance of pity, which fits perfectly with our old lady of the Force. They deeply reject negative emotions such as anger and hatred yet they want you to face them... In the end it gets really confusing to me... I think you should just listen to others and their problems but never get too involved, the best way to help others is by becoming and acting in the way you believe just as Kreia said

"the greatest of victories are not manipulations at all but simply awakening others... to the truth of what you believe" or of what they believe themselves...Peace out or no Conflict-which-shall-may-you-grow out!

Archived