Home

Realistic Approach

T.Nova

Hello there, some things I was thinking about and I'm wondering is it possible, or if anyone would be willing to do so. This being a KOTOR 1 request.

It all starts with the Endar Spire, with your outfit more specifically. I've seen mods that change the soldier's garments into the Republic Uniform. But I was thinking why not add the Republic Uniform into game as armor. Once your instructed to get your gear you'll find the "Republic Combat Uniform" (Or something along those lines) in the footlocker, along with your standard garments.

This combat uniform would have a basic variety of stats (Dexerity, Resistance against Fire & Cold etc.). All it should require is the light armor feature.

It would also be nice to name the weapons and equipment that you obtain through out the Endar Spire to something more along the lines of "A-14 Blaster Rifle", "C-12 Prototype Stealth Belt" things like that to make it sound like the equipment is less generic than a simple "Zabrak Heavy Pistol" or something like that. Actually it would be nice if that concept applied to most of the equipment through out the game.

Now other than that I was thinking Carth should be in a Republic Officer's Uniform during the Endar Spire (The Uniform that the higher ranking Republic Soldiers wear). I saw a mod like this, however it seems to replace Carth's garments with it rather than simply make it additional apparel.

This Officer's Uniform would have slightly higher bonuses than the Soldier's Combat Uniform. However it be not be anything too powerful.

Once you arrive on Taris however Carth should return in his regular garments (As to realistically not draw attention from the Sith by walking around in a Republic Uniform).

Another thing that would be nice is to have all of the garments that come with your PC at the selection menu, available for purchase from one of the merchants. Particulary the Scout and Scoundral clothing be available, and that all of the humanoid party members be capable of wearing them as well.

To wrap it up for the moment, when you retrieve the Sith Uniforms in the Upper City is it possible to get two? I found it odd when I went to the Elevator that Carth doesn't have to have a Sith Uniform to be able to get past the guard. If so it would be rather nice :)

That's all I can think of at any rate. Also, I don't really like making requests so I was curious if anyone point me in the right direction to creating my own mods. :D

I wanted to do this kind of mod myself when I first got into modding, but due to certain limitations in the game, it can't be done. (The Republic Soldier armor)

I'll do my best to explain, though I'm not the most qualified. The game only has so many "slots" for a character's body appearance. It goes

Underwear / Clothes / LightArmor / MediumArmor / HeavyArmor / Jedi Robes /Revan Robes

That's what every normal PC and team mate has. There's no room to add anything new, so to add the appearance of something new, it would have to replace something existing. So say for example, you wanted to replace the light armor slot with the look of a Republic Uniform. If you replaced it, then every light armor that character equipped would look just like a republic uniform.

As for Carth wearing a Republic Uniform, this is actually very possible due to a nifty work-around; since Carth has no DS transitions to worry about, you can simply "clone" his character, and set the clothes to "disguise" Carth as the clone, wearing the uniform. As long as you make it so Carth is the only one who could wear it (I don't know how you'd do that) nobody would be the wiser.

As for being able to buy all three sets of PC clothes, it's simply not pratical for the reasons I listed above. To get the extra two clothing, you would have to replace something else.

To answer your last question; you can't get a second set of Sith armor by normal means, however it's easy to get with KOTOR SGE, or with a simple mod. I just so happen to have one I made for my personal use, since there's a few new conversations you can unlock with it (threatening Davik's thugs in the upper city, talking to the Sith Patrol inside the apartments). If you want it just PM your e-mail and I'll send it.

I agree, it would be nice to see Carth in a Republic uniform on the Endar Spire, but unfortunately the reason that can't be done without changing his regular clothes is because that's not the "real" Carth. The real Carth spawns on Taris. Otherwise, there are 15 other Carths running around the game for various reasons and almost all of them have the same name--p_carth001.utc. If you change one and put it in Override, you change them all.

If you want to get into scripting, there's certainly a way to make the Endar Spire spawn a unique Carth .utc that would be wearing a Republic uniform, but you'd also have to make the uniform, either by Master Kavar's cloning method or by making an actual uniform item, which is possible for Carth because he's not a Jedi and wouldn't be using the Jedi armor slots. See below for a way to make such an armor.

However, there's another way to at least give the man a Republic uniform--use one of the Jedi armor slots in appearance.2da. Under normal circumstances, he's not going to be using them anyway, so you could find the model name and texture name for the Republic uniform and put it into one of those columns. Then, create an .uti with the base item set to Jedi Robes or (Revan_Armor), whichever slot you put the new model name in, give it the stats you want, cheat it into the game, and voila, Carth has a Republic uniform. To limit the uniform to Carth, you would have to edit p_carth.utc so that he has a unique feat that no one else can have (there are several feats human NPCs can't get or aren't used in KotOR--it'll look silly, but if you gave him a droid feat, it would work), and make having that feat a requirement for wearing the Republic uniform. Now, only Carth can wear it (as long as you start a new game or give him the feat before landing on Taris).

That won't solve the problem of having him wear a Republic uniform when it seems like he should, but at least he'd have it. There's a little more that would go into it than what I just said, to make sure the uniform was using the right texture and so forth, but that's pretty much what you'd have to do.

Master Kavar's idea of making a clone Carth would use the same 'locking' as I just mentioned--give Carth a unique feat and give the disguising armor the same unique feat restriction.

Archived