Home

10-day trial: full of glitches?

DarthMuffin

I decided the other day that I wanted to try Galaxies. I know it got average reviews to start with, and that many players felt like Sony/LA had broken the game with their updates, but as an avid SW fan, I decided to give it a go and downloaded the trial.

Now, I don't know if anyone else here has tried it, but I think it stinks. Really. You only get to hack away at a few droids and bugs and that's it. So I'm considering upgrading to full membership for the sake of really trying the game. These few glitches kind of make me hesitate:

When I kill enemies, some big black "boxes" with a red "?" occasionally appear over their corpses. I conclude that there is a model/skin/thing missing. I guess this should be corrected by the full game, but you never know.

The second glitch is actually the most annoying. I simply can't access my character's page (using either the right sidebar menu or the "c" key). As soon as I try to open it, the game crashes. It then tells me to do a full scan, but the problem is not corrected.

It cannot really be my computer. It easily meets the requirements, and can play every game currently on the market (including ES4:Oblivion and WoW). Would it be possible that the trial (or at least the "version" of it I have; I took the AOL mirror from the official website) is a pile of steaming bugs?

Since I'm from WoW, I know I'll probably be disappointed. But I figured that I should at least play it. Needless to say, I'm not very interested in downloading the remaining 4 GB and setting up a subscription only to realize that I still can't access the character's page.

Anyone else has experienced this, or has some information? Thanks!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Galaxies is bug filled. Opening your character sheets, inventory etc can created alot of lag issues. Its worth updating your graphic card drivers first and if the problem still continues - uninstall it

DMUK

Galaxies is bug filled. Opening your character sheets, inventory etc can created alot of lag issues. Its worth updating your graphic card drivers first and if the problem still continues - uninstall it

DMUK

Everything is already updated, so I guess that settles it for me. Thanks for the fast reply :)

my friend tried dloading the trial, it went ok except it gives a Directx9.0c not installed, though he installed it, and he did have the webcam thing and has that completely uninstalled......were trying to figure out how to get past it...this is when he clicks play. Most annoying!

I actually found the problem. It was the file.

The two mirrors (gamedaily and AOL) provided by starwarsgalaxies.com have bugged files. Not very encouraging when you can't even trust the official website. I got a working version of the trial from yahoo. They say it's provided by gamespot, so I suppose they also have a working version (but unless you are a premium subscriber there, you get a horrible d/l rate; so I'd stick with yahoo).

I'm not sure if I'll subscribe, but if I do, I'll be sure to write a small rant concerning this on their forums (need a subscription to post). I can't believe that they can't be bothered with checking the links they provide. No wonder they got poor sales and reviews if that's an indication of what their support looks like.

Archived