Home

In-game text editor

wasa7

Hello everyone, is been a while since I've ask for mods.

Is it possible to make a console or tex editor accesed from the game itself, that allow the player to make conversations between party members? Many may think this is useless but it may become important for roleplayers like meself.

The idea is that you can pause the game, open the text editor, then write a message that can be prompted above the character's head like the numbers that appear when you get hit... it doesn't require any animations at all, or a camera change between the conversation mode and the regular game mode, just the text showing above the character. I don't know if this is possible but it may be fun... Thank you!

Not a two way conversation, but it would be fun for adding sarcastic responses when NPC's do it.

Also, the NPC's can do it, wouldn't it be possible to do it then?

The problem is that there is no easy way to capture what you write, since there are no text input boxes that can be displayed via scripts, and the "Talk" function of the NWN engine was removed in KotOR.

The only way I can think of would be to make a dialog where you "type" what you want to say letter by letter by choosing each letter separately as a dialog response, and then pick a "done" option to say what you have written. Not exactly the most fluid way to type even short oneliners. :)

But if you have such an admirable amount of patience to go that route the rest (popping up a floating bubble with your typed text over your character's head) is entirely possible. (You can easily make NPCs in range respond to certain phrases too with their own counter-barks :))

You could add a few key remarks,..

Example

1. I am the dark lord of the sith bow before me..

2. Please, don't kill me...

And have them attached to an armband/dialog, so you could launch the band, and click the choice and have it pop up a matching dialog...

It would give you a sort of response system, you could even use voice acted lines I would imagine.. You could add as many as you wanted really, 100's of responses if you felt the need, it would be better than doing it letter by letter.. Thats for sure..

Its similar to something I thought of doing sort of, I thought about adding taunts in this manner, add a few animations to them, only use spoken dialog instead of text... I was gonna do em for HK, heh.. But I decided against it...

Though it would be kinda fun to make hk speak some of his more memorable lines on demand...

Anyways.. Peace...

Archived