Home

The future of the U.S. military

Windu Chi

Would you please tell me why?

:disaprove

Because I don't trust computers, simple software errors can lead to a disaster

in the conduction of war.

Please quote one pilot who'd rather put his own life on the line than leave the fighting to a non-living remote-controlled machine that even gets the job done better than him.

I am going to find that answer, but if you watch programs concerning the topic of UAVs about 80% of the pilots don't trust or like the idea of a robot for a wingman.

Definetly. Just like I'd rather have machines work in factories or dangerous workplaces day after day.

Having robots fight is far better than having young boys and girls fight and die. They've got only one life (OK, so robots do, too, but you get my point:D).

Unmanned planes (like the UAV) can't suddenly rebel and decide to kill all humans more than your calculator can rebel and decide to give you only wrong answers. They're non-thinking things. If they're programmed to do something, they'll do it, and only it - unless you scripted the program wrong, in which case it'll do something weird or crash. And I doubt the army will field badly programmed robots.

I can picture the headlines: "A beta version of the UAV-2 killed sixteen people today due to a program bug. After sending an Illegal Operation error message to Command, it accidentally ran pwnage.exe ran itself into a school-bus full of children, blowing it to kingdom come. The Army apologizes for the incident, blaming the publisher for rushing the program and thus not allowing time for play-testing. The UAV-2 1,02 patch, due out in three months, should correct the problem. The SDK for Army engineers will be released as scheduled on the 4/3/2011 14/5/2011 1/12/2011 31/5/2013 14/9/2034 in the near future".

:lol:

Ok! When you vaporize in a mushroom cloud, then tell me did you regret your choice.

You trust robots and computers to much, that's very dangerous.

Watch yourself!

No. But if it interests you, I did see the Matrix trilogy and some other works on machines suddenly rebelling. None of them have any basis in reality.

Yeah, but when Quantum Computers become practical, fuzzy logic will probably allow that to happen.

Since a Quantum Computer will not be bound by logic circuits restrictions.

Fuzzy logic is close to human personality, if implanted in those UAVs will make the real AI that the movies portray.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to find that answer, but if you watch programs concerning the topic of UAVs about 80% of the pilots don't trust or like the idea of a robot for a wingman.
I just thought of something:

If you, back in the early days of the automobile, asked people if they would feel comfortable riding a vehicle capable of reaching and maintaining a steady speed of 70 km/h, at least, what do you think most of them would answer?

20%est. can make a big difference in a war.
Yup. As can 80%.

I believe the estimated figure is 40% computers and 60% on humans.
Do you mean that you think that's the trend, or that you have statistics to show?

• 2 weeks later...

More future military interest !

The U.S. military for one anyway is finally interested in energy weapons for the near future.

It's about damn time !

Of course they probably already had this interest in secret, now its finally being reveal to the public.

I found this article at 3:40 AM today,

it's from Air University Review, July-August 1984

It discusses the physical concept of proton energy weapons

Particle Beam Weapon article link http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1984/jul-aug/roberds.html

For people who study mathematics and physics

here is a link http://search.arxiv.org:8081/paper.jsp?r=physics/0409157&qid=1160817158980r213.423nN2b-2078819462&qs=Particle+Beam+Weapons to the physics of such a weapon.

They already have lasers strong enough to blind you. So yes, the "interest" is there.
Yeah, but particle beam weapons are more powerful and more efficient than lasers.

And "it's about damned time"? Enough people die in wars already, if you ask me.
These kind of weapons will make ballistic missiles obsolete for a time.

Also energy weapons can be a extremely better missile defence system than the primitive defence system they are trying to get working now.

Archived