Home

The future of the U.S. military

Windu Chi

I found this webpage today at 2:50pm-3:03pm when I was searching the internet.

It seem to show some interesting future interests of the US military and the rest of the world militaries.

For the people who don't understand what the topic is about, it is about the US and NATO militaries possible interest in forming space forces by 2010 or 2020

You know like starfleets, well thats one of the articles I found on the site.

That article is title "Waiting for starfleets".

I don't see 2010 as goal anymore maybe 2040 in my opinion.

link to the webpage http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. The more I look over the site linked, the more I see some possibility of discussion. I'll open the topic back up. I wish the OP would have given a better bone for us to chew on, however.

Though let me offer a warning: let this thread not become the flame-fest the OP's recent threads in the Swamp became. This is not the place for that sort of behavior. I'll deleted any spam or frivolous posts and send PM warnings to members that flame with carbon-copies to the moderators' forum

I personally think that even 2040 is overly optimistic for these plans as well. We can barely keep the Space Shuttle program and a single space station going without fatal catastrophe, and we sure haven't had a lot of luck launching satellites or unmanned space probes lately either. And don't even get me started on the overwhelming successes we've had with the ICBM missile defense shield technologies (A.K.A: "Star Wars" :rolleyes: )

As long as we continue to stretch all of our military budgets and resources to the breaking point funding ground wars and occupations of unknown long-term duration and questionable outcomes, I can't see how we would ever be able to get things together to put together a space fleet of any size.

But then, if America doesn't have the resources to do it, then none of the other nations of the world will be able to either. It's not something we need to worry about taking us by surprise, anyway...

It's probably an inevitable, logical outcome for our species, though... especially once we start colonizing nearby bodies within our solar system and what appears now as national pride starts to assert itself on planetary scales, and we start to need to be able to defend ourselves from our own colonies, there will be a desperate need for such fleets.

It's just that I don't believe I will ever see such things on any major scale be built within my lifetime. I'd be very surprised if I live to see a thriving community existing on the moon, let alone Mars or any other outer planet.

Space colonization, with or without war, is low on my list of priorities. It's going to happen some day, but let's focus on fixing our own planet before we go out and colonize the rest of them. Get global warming under control, ban land mines globally, stop world hunger, that sort of things.

So whats your opinion on how long you belleve it might happen? Dagobahn!

I personally think that even 2040 is overly optimistic for these plans as well. We can barely keep the Space Shuttle program and a single space station going without fatal catastrophe, and we sure haven't had a lot of luck launching satellites or unmanned space probes lately either. And don't even get me started on the overwhelming successes we've had with the ICBM missile defense shield technologies (A.K.A: "Star Wars" :rolleyes: )

As long as we continue to stretch all of our military budgets and resources to the breaking point funding ground wars and occupations of unknown long-term duration and questionable outcomes, I can't see how we would ever be able to get things together to put together a space fleet of any size.

But then, if America doesn't have the resources to do it, then none of the other nations of the world will be able to either. It's not something we need to worry about taking us by surprise, anyway...

It's probably an inevitable, logical outcome for our species, though... especially once we start colonizing nearby bodies within our solar system and what appears now as national pride starts to assert itself on planetary scales, and we start to need to be able to defend ourselves from our own colonies, there will be a desperate need for such fleets.

It's just that I don't believe I will ever see such things on any major scale be built within my lifetime. I'd be very surprised if I live to see a thriving community existing on the moon, let alone Mars or any other outer planet.

Maybe if we finally become a one world government.

We could probably can get some damn things done like fixing global warming and discovering new energy sources like fusion or antimatter reactors.

That will possibility happen if the people on this planet work together and stop being adversaries.

That's basically what it will take... but again, I highly doubt I'll see that in my lifetime. I really HOPE that I will, but the realist in says it ain't gonna happen.

I think it's going to take the next stage in human evolution to get to that point, which seems to me would be breeding out all the worst competitive aspects of human behavior, and breeding in things like compassion and empathy.

It's also going to take the world's religions to evolve to the point where none of then see themselves as the one and only true way... the only path to salvation.

And the way things are going right now in the world, I'm a little shaky on the prospect of us all being around long enough to accomplish any of these things.

Of course, people have been saying that for thousands of years, so we might just endure...

But I hope you are right: that the entire population of the planet gets it's act together and begins to see itself as a single species, (itself on the verge of extinction by a million different ways,) and not just tiny individual tribes that believe they have more right to exist than all the others around them.

If we can just get to that point collectively as a species, then the entire universe will be our playground.

That's basically what it will take... but again, I highly doubt I'll see that in my lifetime. I really HOPE that I will, but the realist in says it ain't gonna happen.

I think it's going to take the next stage in human evolution to get to that point, which seems to me would be breeding out all the worst competitive aspects of human behavior, and breeding in things like compassion and empathy.

It's also going to take the world's religions to evolve to the point where none of then see themselves as the one and only true way... the only path to salvation.

And the way things are going right now in the world, I'm a little shaky on the prospect of us all being around long enough to accomplish any of these things.

Of course, people have been saying that for thousands of years, so we might just endure...

But I hope you are right: that the entire population of the planet gets it's act together and begins to see itself as a single species, (itself on the verge of extinction by a million different ways,) and not just tiny individual tribes that believe they have more right to exist than all the others around them.

If we can just get to that point collectively as a species, then the entire universe will be our playground.

You know before 9\11 as everyone calls it now.

I though the world was on the verge of peace but that damn war on terrorism

broke out and then the Sudan crisis.

I guest you can blame that on religion and the other on hate and religion.

Also if our species got along in the past say a couple centuries ago we will probably be exploring the universe now in my opinion.

It could. But developing all sorts of new weapons to destroy ourselves isn't helping.

Weapons are not always bad to possess.

Pretty soon we will have to protect ourselves from comet and asteroid impacts.

The option of new weapons will become a priority, before those catastrophes

happen.

If we don't develop new weapons we will possibly be destroyed.

We've avoided any major ones for millenia. If we do need to protect ourselves, our current weaponry is sufficient. No need to spend time making more.

Do you actually believe there is enough energy in all the worlds nuclear weapons to destroy at least one comet moving at about 12km/s with a mass of trillions of tons.

It also depends what the asteroid for example is made of like iron, rock etc.

Those properties will determine how the mega weapon will effect the object.

Like it will determine if the asteroid absorb the energy of the weapon or be blown to pieces which of course is another danger to deal with.

Not to mention the danger of amassing all those weapons.

Also if those nuclear weapons works for one comet by deflecting it or possibly destroying it.

What about if there another comet or asteroid in the short time span of the first say 10 years or so.

I am sorry but I don't trust the effectiveness of nuclear weapons.

The odds of a cataclysmic meteor striking the Earth are so drastically small as to be almost beyond worry at the moment. Geologic records indicate that the earth has been hit by meteors large enough to potentially cause mass extinctions maybe once every 100 million years.

The last to hit was 95 million years ago. So we don't even really need to worry for ~5 million more years.

If two such meteors were to strike the Earth within 10 years we deserve to die for being the unluckiest planet in the universe.

The odds of a cataclysmic meteor striking the Earth are so drastically small as to be almost beyond worry at the moment. Geologic records indicate that the earth has been hit by meteors large enough to potentially cause mass extinctions maybe once every 100 million years.

The last to hit was 95 million years ago. So we don't even really need to worry for ~5 million more years.

If two such meteors were to strike the Earth within 10 years we deserve to die for being the unluckiest planet in the universe.

Well I hope those statistics are completely accurate or we are f**ked.

Until they account for all the asteroids and comets in the solar system.

I will have to keep my guard up.

I will advise you do to.

Not to be rude, but how on Earth would that help? If a meteor is going to hit Earth and all the militaries in the world can't do a thing about it, how would people here keeping their guard up accomplish anything?
I mean be worried until the astronomers locate all the comets and asteroids.

For those of you out there who is not optimistic as I about a spacefleet being in the near future say in 2020 or 2040.

I would recommend you read this book ELECTROGRAVITATION AS

A UNIFIED FIELD THEORY it is a very interesting book about how gravity is force contain inside the Electromagnetic Field.

The link where the book can be found is http://www.electrogravity.com

You will have to sign on a yahoo account first.

If you don't have one.

Next you have to join a yahoo group to get the book.

Follow the instructions!

After all that click on files and click the link EGBook.

Then click on the link Newgrav3.zip to get the book.

Don't ask me why is it that difficult I was piss off when I had to do it.

*Warning: the book is very technical if you have the knowledge of algebra and a little of differential calculus you should grasp it well.*

Also some physics knowledge of Electromagnetic Field Theory, Quantum Physics, Dimensional Analysis and a little of Quantum Mechanics is advised.

You will have to sign on a yahoo account first.

If you don't have one.

Next you have to join a yahoo group to get the book.

*Raises eyebrow*

I don't buy it. Until other planets are colonized, space fleets are pointless. One small ship alone is very expensive. And besides, who on Earth would want to spread war to the stars? It'll be centuries most likely before we even need squadrons of ships to keep order.

*Raises eyebrow*

I don't buy it. Until other planets are colonized, space fleets are pointless. One small ship alone is very expensive. And besides, who on Earth would want to spread war to the stars? It'll be centuries most likely before we even need squadrons of ships to keep order.

Ok!

Why do you believe, when it happen that it will be very expensive?

What small ship?

Also did you download the book?

It is free to download.

If you have read the book do you believe physicists are close to finding a unified field theory?

That discovery will open access to the stars for humankind.

There will always be wars as now and in the future.

If the mini-Ice Age happen because of globle warming that is causing glacier

melting that will in turn stop the North Atlantic current circulation.

We will be in a war over resources as a result of that catastrophe.

Archived