Home

Razputin's Curse

Y'know, I've been thinking. This is widely considered by most of the world to be a bad move, but whatever.

Regarding Raz's curse...is it real, or could it all just be in his head?

I mean, yeah, the water turning into a freaking hand and dragging the kid under isn't exactly what one would consider a normal part of your average everyday hydrophobia. But it's been stated that that hand is the hand of fear, which seems to hint that it's Raz's fear that is dragging him under, not an actual curse. And then there's the fact that you never actual lose an astral projection layer after being dragged under.

So, to my point...is Raz really cursed? Or is it really just pretty much his own phobia over the whole matter? If he hadn't been told about this curse, would it still happen? Would his entire family still have that happening if they didn't keep telling the story of them being cursed, whatever that exactly is.

One can arguably say that given the fact that he's psychic it all being in his head doesn't really change anything...but still, it makes one wonder...

Right...so, what are your guys' thoughts on the matter?

Interesting theory. Seeing as this is Psychonauts, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some sort of curse, it was afterall, strongly hinted at by his dad. But fear magnifies everything, so his fear would perhaps make him more sucseptible to being dragged below. I dont really know if it applies, but modern 'ghostbusters' (or mediators, whatever floats your boat) say that acknowledging the precense of a malevolent entity only makes it stronger. Perhaps it can apply to thw curse as well.

I think it's supposed to be a real curse (in the game) because that might explain why his dad is (semi) anti-psychic. Maybe they got the curse for some sort of psychic fight or something and... uhh... yeah, I can't finish that thought exactly but you know what I mean right? They got the curse because they're psychic and that's why Raz's dad isn't a psychonaut even though he can go into minds and stuff?

Maybe it's that the family was cursed, and Raz-Dad didn't believe it until one of his sons/daughters died by water (by accident), and Raz-Dad henceforth hated psychics and furthered cemented Raz's belief in the curse/fear.

And then there's the fact that you never actual lose an astral projection layer after being dragged under.

Or even take damage, for that matter.

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Aquato didn't hate psychics that much. All mention of the water-curse and pyschic-hating was from the mental version in Meat Circus.

"Psychics! He's been cavorting with filthy, cheating, psychics! Man, I hate psychics, and seeing my son happy."

- the mental version of Mr. Aquato, after the second battle with Mr. Oleander, before the final battle with Oleato.

One more thing, Raz doesn't get yanked under at Milla's mental party.

I think it could be a little bit of both. I mean, a curse seems plausible if it still affected Raz in Milla's mind, even after she told him he could roll right over it. However, I think the curse is reinforced by Raz's water phobia. It's a pretty interesting topic for speculation, I suppose.

I have another theory: There really is no curse. The programmers wanted an excuse to why you couldn't swim.

Well, that may have some truth, but I think it may have had something to do with them wanting for there to a constant danger. I mean, think about it. Would the part where Linda pushes the air bubble and you have to run to keep up be nearly as intense if you could swim?

Archived