Home

Question about a mod tool

I've been doing some searches and I've been only finding topics and posts without a definitive answer for my question, so I'll just create this thread to ask for a direct answer.

Is there a model viewing tool, such as Md3View(for Jedi Knight 2 and 3), available for KOTOR? My idea was to use it to capture screenshots of character models to make a signature. If not, is there any sort of alternative to it?(For example, I know the models are in the .mdl format, so if there's some sort of MDL Viewer...and if that exists, I'd also need some way to import the animations into the program)

I'm sorry for creating a thread while there are pinned threads about this matter, but I searched(not very thoroughly) and didn't find a good answer.

Is there a model viewing tool, such as Md3View(for Jedi Knight 2 and 3), available for KOTOR?

As far as I know there isn't any model viewers made for KotOR directly. It is said that Bioware's MDL viewer for Neverwinter Nights work with some models, but not all of them, but I haven't verified that myself.

The best you could do currently is probably to use MDLOPS to convert the model to ascii format and then use NWMax to import it into either gmax or 3dsmax and view it there. I don't know if importing animations work well though.

I see. Thank you.

Using KOTOR Tool, I can extract the .mdl files without having to use this "MDLOPS" you mentioned. However, I used the "extract animations" option while extracting the .mdl, and once I import it to 3DS Max 8(using NWMax), the animation is somehow corrupted, the model just gets distorted around. The model itself is very weird-looking, but maybe that's because of shaders, since I tested the Rakghoul model, since I couldn't find any character models in that "small" list.

Does anyone else know how to work around this? I wouldn't be surprised if what I'm asking for is impossible...if it really can't be done, I'll just change my plans on that signature.

• 2 weeks later...
I see. Thank you.

Using KOTOR Tool, I can extract the .mdl files without having to use this "MDLOPS" you mentioned. However, I used the "extract animations" option while extracting the .mdl, and once I import it to 3DS Max 8(using NWMax), the animation is somehow corrupted, the model just gets distorted around. The model itself is very weird-looking, but maybe that's because of shaders, since I tested the Rakghoul model, since I couldn't find any character models in that "small" list.

Does anyone else know how to work around this? I wouldn't be surprised if what I'm asking for is impossible...if it really can't be done, I'll just change my plans on that signature.

Kotor Tool has a earlier version of mdlops built into it. The extract animation function doesn't actually work properly. The latest version of mdlops vs 0.6a4 supports extracting animations to a limited degree. However please remember that even using this version of mdlops there is still a chance for your animations to get messed up.

Archived