Home

Christian myth vs. other mythologies

Achilles

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

Are we talking about the credibility of religious claims (i.e. the truthfulness of the religious assertions) or the credibility of the religion itself (i.e. that a certain set of beliefs can be described as a religion)? I guess I interpreted the question as the latter.
My apologies. The question was closer to the former rather than the latter.

There's one other thing I thought of that gives religion relevency: laws. It is said laws were created so that we follow the code of what society's religion is. The degregation of women for example, that is so because their religion says so, and it is made law that women have many of their rights stripped away. In the society most of us would be familiar with our laws mirror many of the Ten Commandments, such as 'Though shalt not steal\kill\commit adultry'.

Achilles is correct, but I think it's important to remember that this whole "is religion relevant" tangent is- in my estimation- an off-topic irrelevance at best, and a thread-hijack at worst. The original post and stated thread topic concerns itself with the question: should religious theistic claims be given any credence, and if so, why? (Please forgive my presumptuous reiteration of your query, Achilles)

It never posed the question: "what qualifies as a religion", nor "are religions relevant to society".

A belief that the earth is flat can, I suppose, be termed "relevant" to society, in that such a belief can affect the behaviour of those that hold it, and in turn their behaviour can affect society. But that's so obvious that it doesn't bear discussion. A more pertinent question would be "SHOULD religious beliefs be regarded as relevant to society?" and of course the answer to that would be "No, because they're blatantly delusional." But once again, that's another discussion entirely.

Faith is belief without evidence.

I think that pretty much ended the discussion of should religious theistic claims be given any credence, since to be credible, you must have proof for your arguments.

Thanks for getting us back on topic

Kind of a non-topic though. :p

Really we're talking about two different parts of a human psyche -- reason and emotion and never the twain shall meet.

Kind of a non-topic though. :p
In all fairness, you're probably right. I found it interesting that I raised the question 3 or 4 times, after which the other parties became much too busy with other things to continue the conversation. If I should take that as acceptance that there is no rational reason to be religious, then I guess I had hoped to learn why people would choose to be irrational.

Perhaps there are no answers to my questions.

I'm not aware of any Atheist dominent countries, but religion being the basis of laws was something I heard. Maybe in some societies. Some evidence to this can be shown that until recently homosexuality was illegal, and we all know how much that is spoken against. But what do I know, I'm a crazy torture for fun bitch that supports terrorism.

@Moderators: Should this be broken out into a new thread?

@Nancy:

Didn't you use the former USSR and China as examples earlier? If you consider non-theistic belief systems to be atheistic, then I suppose that you could also count Japan, Tibet, Laos, Burma, Thailand, Korea, etc. All of those countries have laws, last time I checked.

Yes, the Bible (both OT and NT) and the Qu'ran give us some laws, but some of these laws (thou shalt not murder) contain moral precepts that can and do exist outside of religion (Kant's categorical imperative quickly tells us that murder is wrong). Others, like "homosexuality is a sin" or "death to those that work on the Sabbath" exist only within our holy books, but have absolutely no moral weight outside of them. To summarize, yes we get some laws from religion, but the ones that make sense don't require religion, and the ones that require religion make no sense.

Your argument regarding the legalization of homosexuality reminds me a great deal of the abolishionist movement. Liberal Christians using the word of God to free slaves that Conservative Christians believed the word of God told them they could have.

Yeah and unless God slipped in a version 2.0 that I haven't seen, you can go down to any church and still find the specific passages that advocate slavery in the Bible.

Odd that we can us reason against God to abolish something that is clearly immoral, but that same reason fails us (in many cases) when trying to apply rationale to God himself.

There's meant to be respect between the two apparently. But if that was the case wouldn't it be servitude rather than slavery?
Hmm...I didn't walk away with that impression at all.

That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Luke 12:47-48

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

Exodus 21:20-21

There are others passages that are less hostile, but still clearly show that slaves were property with no more value than oxen or asses (donkeys).

I see that "subtle" doesn't work very well here.

Let me try that again: If the Bible advocates slavery and the Bible is the word of God and God is the source of our morals, who are we do decide whether or not slavery is ok? It seems that we risk incurring God's wrath by failing to take slaves.

If we have the inerrant word of God at our fingertips, don't you think we should be following that?

Ah I get what you're saying now.

There are many things that is said that are not practiced today, in fact Christians would most likely oppose slavery. No wonder there is confusion where people condemn what it says in their religion.

Though on the other hand what I think it's saying here is that slavery isn't condemned, but by the same token it's not pushing the idea either.

Oh definetly. Not only don't I believe in women being subjugated to men there are those who still believe today that is how it should be. I could rant and rave about this all day but all I'll say is that men will be equal to women only when they can stand to being kicked between the legs.

Archived