Home

Need help with KOTOR II - Language :(

Samtheman53

Well I'll start off by saying I just registered here so I am total noob and I'm sorry if this has been said before and I don't even know which is the right section.

Heres my problem, I brought KOTOR2 whilst on holiday in Germany, the shop keeper who spoke English said it would work in English, however its German and there was never any options in the installation to change the language and theres no language options in the games options either.

Is there anything I can do ?

Thanks in advance

Heres my problem, I brought KOTOR2 whilst on holiday in Germany, the shop keeper who spoke English said it would work in English, however its German and there was never any options in the installation to change the language and theres no language options in the games options either.

Is there anything I can do ?

I don't think there is much you can do about it, unfortunately. The game only comes in one language on the CDs. While you theoretically could change the text to English by using an English dialog.tlk file instead (if you have the PC version), all the sound voice over and movie cutscenes would still be in German.

I don't think there is much you can do about it, unfortunately. The game only comes in one language on the CDs. While you theoretically could change the text to English by using an English dialog.tlk file instead (if you have the PC version), all the sound voice over and movie cutscenes would still be in German.

Does anyone want to send me an english dialog then? please :)

msn, xfire or host it sumwhere

Would that even work? I mean, while you can change the dialogue, will it really correspond to the german language version?

Would that even work? I mean, while you can change the dialogue, will it really correspond to the german language version?

That's the idea behind putting all the text in the game in the dialog.tlk file. All you need to do to translate the game to another language is to swap out this file for one with the localized text in it (and replace any voice-over sound files and movie clips).

Instead of putting any text within other game data files or the game executable, those places only contain an entry index number (StrRef), which points to an entry in the dialog.tlk file. Thus to translate the game you replace the text for each such entry in the dialog.tlk file.

The only thing to look out for is that some languages need special strings for the feminine form as well. Those are put in an exact copy (aside from the strings that need to be different) of the dialog.tlk file named dialogf.tlk for those languages. This file is not present in the English version of the game, since it's not needed.

Well, the best it would do is changing the dialogue text to the readable english. BUT It would sound german still. Oh, can I have a voice sample of the German Visas? I just wanna know how she would be like when she speaks german. Well, just send the standard Visas/Nihilus video, and I will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived