Home

Good software for skinning?

SykoRevan

I'm attempting to really get into the whole skinning thing, since my first ambition, which was scripting, was WAAAAAAY over my head, but when I first tried skinning small things in the game, I found it to be much more enjoyable (and much easier to understand than scripting). I used IrfanView to open the TGA files in mods and it works well for small things like changing the colors of the blaster bolts for the weapons in WotOR since all I need to do is swap colors (I just didn't like Carth's blaster firing green bolts) but IrfanView is completely useless for doing more advanced skinning, since it has no advanced coloring tools at all. I'm hoping someone (preferably an experienced skinner who's worked with editing skins) can point me in the direction of a good program.

GIMP is the best for casual editing, because it's free, and does just about everything Photoshop can do. I would suggest starting with that. If you like it, I'd also recommend that you at least download a trial version of Photoshop and just get familiar with it, for the sake of reference.

It's kind of a tricky interface to get used to. Since you're starting fresh, though, it doesn't matter a whole lot. But I'll say again, if you end up liking it, it would be a good idea to check out Photoshop even just for reference, since that's the more common of the two.

I haven't used it, but looking at some pictures, it seems like the core features are similar enough where you could do the same simple tasks on all three. More complicated tasks, however, should probably still be carried out on GIMP or Photoshop.

right on thanks for the response --will check out gimp and photoshop sometime, hopefully soon.

@SykoRevan thanks for the thread and if you are still searching for programs Paint.Net has a pretty simple setup so if the others seem daunting (i'm still afraid) :manny:, you might checkout paint.net -- found at download.com. it is free, too.

Archived