Home

Possible leave of absence.

Based on what has been going on with my laptop lately, I have a strong feeling that it is about to bite the dust and I will be without a computer. I'm taking the steps to back up my files, but even that isn't going very well.

Anyways, if I do end up leaving and only being able to check the forums rarely, I expect you guys to get along and come to compromises on what should be done on certain things. Don't turn this forum into fricken grade school like the MB2 forum has often sunk to (no offense to you grade schoolers :p ).

I won't be commiting my code to the repository yet or at all since there seems to be some crashing problems with it (hopefully why my dying computer acted funny for a while). So hopefully my computer will stay alive long enough for me to fix that code. ANyways, if my computer doesnt start up again, see you all in a while. I' dont if I'll be able to afford another computer anytime soon though if thats the case. :(

well you know one of the most effective things for fixing broken computers is quite easy to do. if you back up all your files just reinstall windows. it will wipes your computer fixing all programs that aren't hardware related and the you just put your backed up files back on your computer

:( Poor hocks. Well im back now (not that I was gone long), but my computer just all of a sudden lost .dlls and couldnt start anything :/. I managed to backup my non commited work and the stuff I wanted/needed. Now currently installing C++.

well you know one of the most effective things for fixing broken computers is quite easy to do. if you back up all your files just reinstall windows. it will wipes your computer fixing all programs that aren't hardware related and the you just put your backed up files back on your computer

Well unfortunately I'm pretty sure its hardware related :(

Btw, Tonight when I tried to start my laptop, the first two attempts ended with the laptop making a strange beeping sound and the screen being completely dark right after I started it. It seemed to sort of start (the fan was running and green power light was on), but the screen was blank. On the third attempt, it seemed to start up normally. It did this before yesterday too. Anybody have ideas wtf is going on with my computer?

Check the manual or the internet and try to listen exactly to how many or what kind of beeps it made. Usually x many beeps is something with the videocard, X LONG beeps is something with this and blablablabla.

Oh yeah:

1: Do not give it to a friend that thinks he knows how to fix it but doesn't have any real formal knowledge.

2: Do not get swindled by my fellow IT'ers who can charge up to 200 dollars for clearing your CMOS...

Ok, I'll have to check that out. It was overheating, but I'm pretty sure its something else since we already blew the dust out and it occasionally doesnt start and beeps even when its cool.

Anyways...I just got a new computer and loaded a newer version of JKA on to it (one with the 1.01 pach already on it). When I start v560 or even my previous code with the icon or another bat I get this error in the console:

--- ambient sound initialization ---

Sound memory manager started

Loading dll file ui.

Failed to load dll, looking for qvm.

Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.

Failed.

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

VM_Create on UI failed

The strange thing is that when I do the auto start at the end of installation, it starts up fine! Does anybody have any idea what is going on?! I dont even have any new or added different files in it yet! :p

Ok, I'll have to check that out. It was overheating, but I'm pretty sure its something else since we already blew the dust out and it occasionally doesnt start and beeps even when its cool.

well i know when i got a new graphics card heating became a problem so all i did was install a second fan

Anyways...I just got a new computer and loaded a newer version of JKA on to it (one with the 1.01 pach already on it). When I start v560 or even my previous code with the icon or another bat I get this error in the console:

--- ambient sound initialization ---

Sound memory manager started

Loading dll file ui.

Failed.

VM_Create on UI failed

The strange thing is that when I do the auto start at the end of installation, it starts up fine! Does anybody have any idea what is going on?! I dont even have any new or added different files in it yet! :p

Strange!

Well that's one of two problems:

-You didn't install the game or mod correctly

-You have lousy drivers for (insert hardware here). Usually videocard.

Happened to me when I was noob enough to just use the same harddrive on a totally different set of hardware, which in theory should work but doesn't in practice ;dd. I don't see that happening with you since you had a laptop previously.

I suggest you try reinstalling both of the stuff on a location you know will succeed, and if NOT WORX then try installing new drivers for your videocard. If you know it's name I'll be happy to help you with +20 FPS too ;d lol.

Edit:

http://www.truecombatelite.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7450

Rogue's last post. TC:Elite is a mod for a mod basically, it's run on Enemy Territory. I used to play this mod and remember people getting that error and as Rogue said (bottom post first page) it's usually a corrupt pk3 due to faulty installation or whatever.

Man I'm about to throw this computer out the window!! :compcry: I used a driver checking software and it found a few different drivers that were out of date (which is just stupid considering this computer is brandnew!). I was able to update a few of them, but updating the Nvidia nforce serial ATA controller is a nightmare becauseit requires reinstalling windows...which I've already had to do once and now all my files are in a windows.old folder!! I HATE TECHNOLOGY!!! I'm not sure if I want to go though that again and I'm not even sure if it will fix this error. So far, nothing else has. :(

My videocard is a Nvidia 6150SE with 128 memory. It pointed that driver out in my scan I think, But I thought I already replaced it and it pointed it out again. My system is an AMD 64 x2 4600+ with 2048 RAM. I'm running vista premium 32-bit (which I;m really starting to hate). The strange thing is, I've already been able to run Battlefront 2 with hardly any problem.

Failed.

VM_Create on UI failed

The solution to this appears to be very simple:

1.Go to your gamedata folder for jedi knight jedi academy.

2.Right click on the jamp.exe file and choose Properties.

3.Choose the Compatibility tab.

4. At the bottom should be a section title privilege level, with Run this program as an administrator.

5. When you start up jedi knight jedi academy you will get a popup to allow or disallow the program to run. Allow it and you multiplayer will start up perfectly.

Hope this helps, and if you have other games not working in Vista I would suggest trying this as well.

As this nigga said, hope this helps. I would've tried it myself but I don't have Vista (yet) :D

Archived