Home

TSLRP and TSLPatcher: A Compatibility Question

I was trying to ensure that my mod would be compatible with TSLRP when its released so I asked Dashus some questions about how they are installing things. He said that they were putting their edited .2da, .jrl, .dlg, etc. files inside a folder that they were going to create within the override folder (override\TSLRP). I didn't realize that you could do that with .2da files and still have the game read them though. Did I misunderstand Dashus on that point or is that actually possible. If it is, is there some way I can get TSLPatcher to add lines to a .2da placed in a folder inside the override?

When .2da files are placed into override sub-folders, there is either a conflict with the game, the mods, or the game simply won't read them.

TSLPatcher, I believe, can add lines to other files within sub-folders, but it would be pointless to try to do so for .2da files in sub-folders.

That's what I thought. Dashus and I must have miscommunicated somewhere along the way. Does anyone know if the game can read the .jrl from an override subfolder?

Yes, it can go in a subfolder. Anything that can go in the override can go in a subfolder.

I don't think TSLPatcher supports subfolders; all I can recommend is do a fresh install of the game, install the official patches, install TSLRP, copy the 2DA files and the journal.jrl into the main override and use the patcher to patch these files. Just in case there is any confusion on this matter: TSLRP is not using TSLPatcher, it's using its own installation system. The thinking behind it is that there are too many edited files to even begin thinking of compatibility.

Hmmm I could have sworn that .2da's wouldn't work inside subfolders. I know they're doing their own installer and I understand why but man does that cause huge problems for modders who need access to those files. So we'll have to tell people to install TSLRP then move the needed .2da's, .jrl, .dlg's themselves then do our install. Lame... You know I've known they were doing it this way for awhile now and I didn't really put it together until a few days ago. That was dumb of me...

Placing your mods files in subfolders intentionally for release is folly... Detecting conflicts would be near-impossible.

Subfolders for mods = Disaster wating to happen.

Perhaps the TSLRP needs to look at the TSL Patcher program themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As this is about a Mod Tool, I am moving this to our tools forum. ;)

• 9 months later...

Well, ignoring the fact that the real issue is with TSLPatcher not being able to coalesce those files itself, we've moved them into override.

Note, however, that we uninstall blindly (and will NOT be changing that) so if you merge anything into TSLRP files in Override and then uninstall TSLRP you could (and probably will) break whatever mods you merged in.

Also we don't do any conflict detecting. If you've got something in override when you install TSLRP, it will be wiped if the file name is the same.

Personally, I think every mod should use the TSLPatcher, but that's my own opinion. This way, you don't have to worry about having to go in and change what you need to, to make one mod work with another. Also, in the instructions, it could be recommended to unpack the mod into separate folder.

And the TSLRP people might consider updating their site, some, because part of it looks like there hasn't been any progress made since about October of 2007. Something could be posted between then and now, even if it's to say that no real progress has been made.

Archived