Home

Error when closing K2 after loading custom reskinned module

Miltiades

I have my reskinned custom module (based on an existing area) for a long time now, and while the module loads fine and the reskinned textures work, I always get an error when trying to load to another area, load a savegame or close K2 when in my custom area. Until today, I had no clue what was going on.

Apparently, the problem lies with the room models (that have been HEX-edited). When deleting the .mdl and .mdx files (and leaving the walkmeshes, door walkmeshes and door models in) from the override, everything is black (obviously), but I don't get any error. So I must've made some mistake in the .mdl files. The only thing I've done in the .mdl files is referring to the new textures. What is wrong?

Apparently, the problem lies with the room models (that have been HEX-edited). When deleting the .mdl and .mdx files (and leaving the walkmeshes, door walkmeshes and door models in) from the override, everything is black (obviously), but I don't get any error. So I must've made some mistake in the .mdl files. The only thing I've done in the .mdl files is referring to the new textures. What is wrong?

Have you tried replacing your custom textures with other, standard TPC compressed images (renamed the same as your custom ones) without making any other changes to the MDL? That way you'd be able to determine if the problem lies within the MDL file or with the textures themselves.

I tried that, but got the same outcome. So it must be the .mdl files... I don't think there can be something else, or it'd maybe be a wrong reference in the .git, .are or .ifo file, but I doubt that, as it works fine without the .mdl files.

I also made another module that had not been reskinned (so no Hex-editing of the .mdl files) and that worked without any problems. Another sign that the .mdl files are the ones to blame.

I tried that, but got the same outcome. So it must be the .mdl files... I don't think there can be something else, or it'd maybe be a wrong reference in the .git, .are or .ifo file, but I doubt that, as it works fine without the .mdl files.

If the problem does lie with the MDL files it's probably safest to re-create them in case you've managed to get a typo into one of them when you replaced the textures, possibly overwriting something before or after the texture name. Don't know what else it could be, if the texture names you replaced had the same character length as your new textures. Unless you've accidentally managed to rename your models the same as a model in another area, causing a conflict somehow.

I don't think a typo is the problem. I've reskinned two modules, both have the problem. On top of that, I tried deleting all .mdl files but one, so I only have the .mdl and .mdx file of one room in the module. Even that one .mdl file gives an error. From the moment I delete it, no error anymore.

Edit: Okay, I tried something else. I extracted the .mdl and .mdx file from Kotor Tool again, and now, I just renamed it, without changing anything in it. I'm starting to doubt if it really is the .md file that causes the problem. Simply renaming a .mdl file can't hurt much, can it?

I'm starting to doubt if it really is the .md file that causes the problem. Simply renaming a .mdl file can't hurt much, can it?

Some MDLs need to have the internal model name (stored in the file) match the name of the MDL file itself for the game to use it properly. I don't know if this is the case with area models as well though.

No, and I completely forgot about those mods for comparison, stupid me. I actually found the problem after comparing with a .mdl file from the Coruscant mod. Apparently, I forgot to change the first name to the name of my custom build module in every .mdl file. I already had done that once, but then I had changed every 152HAR, in my case, to something else. I only had to change th first one. Okay, I guess that's settled then. Thanks, DI. :clap2:

Edit: @stoffe: Yeah, and that's why renaming it didn't work. I had to change the name in the file itself too. :)

Archived